Onyx Coffee Lab
market locale: en-us
url prefix:

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 12: Ethiopia Gedeb Beriti Natural | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 12: Ethiopia Gedeb Beriti Natural

• This organic coffee from Gedeb Beriti boasts all the fruit notes we love about natural processed coffee. Dried within the cherry, this coffee is enveloped within complex fruit esters and sucrose, giving it a concentrated sweetness. This macro-lot from Ethiopia is produced by our friends and collaborators at METAD coffee, who are vital to our Ethiopian program.

Tasting Notes:
    Concord Grape, Sweet Tea, Strawberry, Raw Honey

Click here for Advent Brew Guide

BREW GUIDE

ORIGAMI W/ V60 CONE FILTER

COFFEE: 25G

WATER: 400G AT 205°F

GRIND

7.5 EK43
    515 Microns
    11 Baratza Encore
    5e Baratza Vario+
    17 Comandante C40
    3.3 Fellow Ode Gen 2

BREW

Bloom to 50g
    0:30 - Heavy center pour to 200g
    1:30 - Spiral pour to 300g
    2:00 - Spiral pour to 400g
    ~3:25 drain

• I'm excited about every Ethiopian coffee in this Advent and this one does not disappoint. While I didn't get the grape, the sweet tea and strawberry came through with a sweetness I can't identify as raw honey - but ok, sure. Maybe that's because I love the coffee but don't like grapes... I always find these tasting notes to be so suggestive, but then the coffees and it's an "aha" moment of realizing these coffee graders and tasters have super trained palates. 

Let the coffee cool wayyy down and take a sip - bam, strawberry!!! I like to pour just a tiny bit in a different cup so it cools fast, rather than waiting for the whole thing to cool - then go back to my normal cup with my taste buds more attuned to what's in the coffee. Anyone else do this? 

A good day 12! Halfway there! 

• I’ve the years I’ve strayed away from Ethiopians due to some of them having a winey taste that my palette doesn’t like anymore. Plus i also drank a ton of it for years. But this one was pleasant. The Concord grape and strawberry are very upfront on this one. Found it a bit sweet with this one. This was another bag where the beans didn’t smell as fresh as the others. I’m of belief coffee is best with the 7-15 days post roasting and off gassing. Unless that theory really only applies to espresso.

• I'm also noticing many of these coffees shine once cooled down a bit. This one was pretty good!

• A few years back I read in James Hoffman's "Best of Jimseven" that he discovered from a friend how shockingly good cooled espresso was compared to a hot shot.  From this standpoint I don't see the point of espresso cup warmers- in fact in a few speialty, low volume cafes, espresso is served in a frozen glass.  The same appies to pourovers- it's part of the brewing process to let it cool and let the flavors evolve, and has been pointed out by others, the palate is more sensitive closer to room temperature.

• @Mike Stewart thanks for that hot (cool) tip! I waited to try today's coffee and it was much more pleasant on the first few sips. I smelled more "grape" during the brewing process than I tasted. It took a while for the strawberry to come out to me, but it tasted like those strawberry candies everyone's grandma always had by the end of the cup. 

I was once told craft breweries don't serve beer as cold as they do domestic beers at bars because the slightly warmer temperature allows for a better-tasting beer. Hence, putting Blue Mountains on a can of Coor's Light because they want to make sure it's as cold as possible before you drink it to hide as much as possible. There seems to be a similar approach to coffee, as far as letting it cool to pull out those flavors. I wonder if that's why commercial drip coffees are always so hot and burnt. 

• I really enjoyed this one. It hit different than I expected - I was assuming it would be a lot of tart berry notes like other Ethiopian naturals I've had, but this one instead for me was more of a "sweet" sweetness - I got more notes of grape than berry. Brewed on a Chemex with the suggested grind size, and it ended up taking more time to drain through so that might have changed some of the notes. But I think I might prefer these flavors over the "punch you in the face" notes I usually get from naturals.

• From the moment I started brewing this one I could smell fruit, but it was oddly more like fruit loops to me than real fruit. Flavor wise I would say that isn't the case, its fruity though I'm not sure if I could nail down one fruit in particular but its red, I can tell you that for sure so maybe thats the strawberry?

I ground this a bit less fine than yesterday and I've gotten none of the sourness I had then so thats a bonus, my chemex stalled a bit but I fixed that by propping open the little air vent thing with a metal straw. Overall a good coffee, its sweet with a unique flavor and even a good aftertaste.

• Brewed on a V60 w/ the standard recipe. One of the mildest Ethiopians I've had in a while, and overall a pleasant cup. I can taste strawberry like you would get in a jam, and definitely a semi-sweet tea. No noticeable grape other than the jam like quality. No tartness or noticable acidity here.

• I use a basic Bodum grinder set to one notch past "pourover" setting, and an OXO auto brewer, 25g to 400ml, and this has been the best tasting coffee compared to the "Framily" option, for me.  The taste I got all the way through was a strong berries flavor, specifically, to me, blueberries.  I tested it with a splash of half&half and the taste stayed very pleasant throughout.  This is one good coffee.

• @Alan Carpenter I would agree I think on the nose the strawberry/red fruit is very prevalent. In my opinion, It's almost like it was co-fermented with strawberries. It reminded me of this offering from B&W roasters https://www.blackwhiteroasters.com/products/r-the-future-chocolate-covered-strawberries . Which is crazy to me.

• Absolutely delicious. I brewed this coffee in an Origami with white Kalita 185 paper filter at a 1:16 ratio using my Ode Gen 2 with standard burrs at the 3.66 setting and the Melodrip device to manage the water drip. For 16 grams in and 250 grams out, the total. brew time took 3.5 minutes. The coffee is sweet and fruity. I can pick up some red berry flavors and the raw honey notes. The body is moderate, with a bright acidity, and a very semi-juicy composition. I really like this coffee. 

• Was actually brewing with these beans in the weeks leading up to the advent calendar, so I when I saw it at day 12, I knew it'd be like returning to an old friend. 

This cup consistently has a balanced sweetness while hot, and then the strawberry flavors really come through as it cools. A great halfway point!

• Really enjoyed this one.  Loved yesterday's also - may have been my favorite, though I m really enjoying every day with this adventure!  I figured out early on that, for me, the single cup brewing option, with its more specific brewing guidelines makes the best cup of coffee from a given bean than does the double option...thanks again, Onyx, for making this happen!!!  Delicious!!!!

• Does anybody brew with the Double recipe?  

I'm finding it strange that the grind size never varies for the double but it does for the single.  I've been using my Fellow Stagg XF with 50g, using the Ode g2 grind size of the single size recommendation with good results.  

• The flavor profile from Onyx is right on.  I can taste all of the flavor profiles above.  I taste the grape and strawberries right away and as it lingers and I slurp it, I get the honey and sweet tea on the finish.  A very delicious cup. I smell the grape even before I take a sip.  Its a very jammy/fruity coffee.  

Brewed it in the Next Level Pulsar using Aramse's recipe of "French, No Press."  Used 18g of coffee to 306g of water.  Ground on 4 on Fellow Ode Gen1 with SSP burrs. Closed the valve and poured all the water into the brewer first.  Then added all 18g of coffee.  Stirred it up and let it steep for 4:30.  Then released the valve and let it drain. Total brew time took about 6 minutes.  Had a wonderful batch of full bodied coffee.  

• More natural fruity bangers please 😃. My favorite coffee so far 👍.

• Grape smell immediately smashed into my nose upon grinding which was a great start to this brew. After making it (18g v60 pourover), it seemed a little muted, but I could detect some of the sweetness and sucrose flavor. After about 10 minutes of cooling, I found the flavor much more pleasant and fruity. This is probably in the middle tier of Coffees for me.