Onyx Coffee Lab

Join Our Pilgrimage

Sign up for Onyx emails to journey with us, unlocking first access to everything we're excited to share - new coffee releases, resources and recipes, exclusive promotions, and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia John Diaz Gesha Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Peru Nueva Alianza Gesha COE #9

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia John Diaz Gesha Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Peru Nueva Alianza Gesha COE #9

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 22: Bolivia Caranavi Matriarcas Project | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 22: Bolivia Caranavi Matriarcas Project

• The Matriarcas project stands as a shining example of how sustainable and socially responsible practices can be integrated into the coffee industry to empower women and uplift communities. By visualizing women's work, empowering them through education and leadership development, and improving their quality of life, the project creates a positive cycle of progress and equality within Bolivia. This coffee, featured in our Doyenne subscription, was an easy offering to include within the Advent lineup, highlighting the hard work of these producers.

Tasting Notes:
    Plum, Brown Sugar, Allspice, Silky

Click here for Advent Brew Guide

BREW GUIDE

ORIGAMI W/ CONE FILTER

COFFEE: 25G

WATER: 400G AT 204°F

GRIND

10 EK43
    687 Microns
    18 Baratza Encore
    7p Baratza Vario+
    23 Comandante C40
    4.6 Fellow Ode Gen 2

BREW

Bloom to 50g
    0:30 - Heavy center pour to 200g
    1:30 - Spiral pour to 300g
    2:00 - Spiral pour to 400g
    ~3:25 drain

• Coffee was a bit weak... a little fruity and I didn't get the hint of plums as described in the video... I'd give it a 83/100

• Last couple brews I had a shorter than expected drain time, but I got this one back on point. The coffee was unfortunately a bit meh to me. I spent a few minutes tasting and mulling it over and I can only really detect some stone fruit flavor. Not even really plum, but more like a bit of peach pit or slight citrus flavor.

• I hadn't had a Bolovian in a while, and I actually thoroughly enjoyed this one. Brewed on a Chemex. Really smooth cup. Brown sugar was the dominant note, with a linger of some kind of spice, like nutmeg. Body was more delicate than expected, but it coated the tongue nicely without feeling heavy. 

• A little tame compared to yesterdays coffee for me, but still a solid cup. Brewed on my kalita today and got all the plum, brown sugar, and baking spice notes. 

Love the story behind this coffee and learning about the Matriarcas project. It's great knowing the coffee I drank today contributed positively to the lives of the communities around it.

• Have to recapitulate the other reviews - Some good flavors made fleeting appearances, but "tame", "weak", "meh" were the predominant tasting notes. Being the only coffee from Bolivia on here, and part of the Doyenne series, I would have liked to have more available to try to dial in.

I did do 3 brews:

1) Posted recipe on V60 - This gave me the most sweetness of the bunch, with plum skin up front.

2) Aeropress at posted temperature, 2 minute immersion, ground at 3 2/3 on Ode Gen 2 - This accentuated the stone fruit a lot more. It had more brightness, but I didn't care for the residual flavor as much.

3) Posted recipe on another conical dripper, scaled back to 12.5g - This one suffered from underextraction, but generally the same as my V60 attempt.

What was odd about this coffee to me was that none of the sweetness or present flavor notes really lingered, and further dissipated as the coffee cooled down. Overall, I think this is actually a decent specialty coffee. Whoever grew it should be proud of the work they are doing; If anything, it was just a little lackluster and (I think) stale compared to other Advent offerings.

• I brewed with the MK dripper and a Kalita 185 filter. There is more sweetness as the coffee cooled down. 

• I had low expectations because of all the woke cliche virtue signalling, but happened to get the grind right for the first Decent espresso extraction.  It ran a little faster at 19 s but there was the sour plum-Allspice up front, almost sweet, with some dryness on the finish.  In case anywone else is still working through the Calendar, try under extracting some as over extraction will subdue or kill the flavors.

• The Matriarcas project indeed stands out with its innovative approach and strong mission. For those interested in exploring more about such impactful projects, ICOholder is an excellent resource. It provides comprehensive information on various ICOs, helping investors and enthusiasts stay informed about emerging opportunities. Definitely worth checking out if you’re keen on discovering projects like Matriarcas.

• Hello. I really like this service that I have recently discovered. Thanks to this service - research paper writers , I was able to write a research paper and get the highest grade at my university. I recommend this service to everyone who needs triple help with writing a research paper, because this service will be happy to help.

• Writing service review platforms often provide insights into the best academic services available. Read the full content to understand the features, pricing, and quality of these services. Finding the right academic essay help can significantly improve your writing skills and academic performance.