Onyx Coffee Lab
market locale: en-us
url prefix:

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 14: Panama Creativa Giovana Boutet Anaerobic | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 14: Panama Creativa Giovana Boutet Anaerobic

• This anaerobic natural processed by our friends at Creativa Coffee District checks all the boxes we love about anaerobic processing. Layered, complex, and immensely sweet, this Catuai reminds us of ripe mangos and chocolate truffle, with the complexity and tactile of a cabernet. Lots from Creativa tend to be bombastic and fruit-forward, making them a fun shake up selection for the calendar lineup.

Tasting Notes:
    Ripe Mango, Chocolate Truffle, Cabernet, Toasted Coconut

Click here for Advent Brew Guide

BREW GUIDE

ORIGAMI W/ CONE FILTER

COFFEE: 25G

WATER: 400G AT 200°F

GRIND

7.1 EK43
    490 Microns
    10 Baratza Encore
    4s Baratza Vario+
    16 Comandante C40
    3 Fellow Ode Gen 2

BREW

Bloom to 50g
    0:30 - Heavy center pour to 200g
    1:30 - Spiral pour to 300g
    2:00 - Spiral pour to 400g
    ~3:00 drain

• Due to a silly mix-up, accidentally made this cup a few days early. I believe everyone is definitely in for a treat with this one!

Intense sweetness straight away and then waves of complex flavors. It seemed like I could taste something new with every sip as it cooled down. It is difficult to put into words, but the "Cabernet" note describes the overall feel of this cup perfectly. A perfect amount of sweetness, balanced out by the semi-sweet chocolate and the burnt sugars in the toasted coconut.

Favorite beans so far!

• @Stephen Sallas read this at first as cabaret, as in a cabaret of flavors - also apt!

• Getting a really strong, kind of astringent wine and chocolate cherry flavor with this one but it's losing its luster when it cools down, so my recommendation is to drink it while it's still hot.

• Like this one. Nose of rum fruitcake...I can find the mangoes on the pallet 

• I like the word complex for this. I get the coconut more in the aftertaste than anything. I'm not a big wine drinker, so the cabernet is lost on me, but I can taste a thicker berry/grape flavor, which is probably what that refers to. I was really into the lighter, bright, citrusy coffees before starting this Advent Calendar but my taste has been changing throughout. These darker, more chocolatey-flavored coffees have been fantastic and I'm happy to no longer pigeon-hole myself into the lighter, brighter roasts. 

• This coffee had a distinct nutty smell but ended up tasting very fruity and sweet. I'm not getting coconut at all but absolutely some kind of tropical fruit. there is also a lot of acid here at least in my brew. I'm not a huge fan of that, but its most likely a fault in the way I ground the coffee. Otherwise I could see myself purchasing this roast again, its reminicent of day two if not as good.

• @Alan Carpenter I noticed a lot of acidity on the tongue that fell off as it cooled, and I didn't get any of the tropical fruit until the last few sips. 

• I really enjoyed this one! Up there in my personal rankings with the Honey processed and washed Ethiopian coffees. In the first sips, I think I got the toasted cocunut note and not much else, but the overwhelming flavor through most of the temperature range was Lindt chocolate truffle taste. It was delightful and rich, similar to the honey process coffees on Days 6/9. The tropical fruit was more subtle but present.

My partner tried Day 5 (Mexico Puebla Zapotitlan #2), Day 9 (El Salvador Santa Rosa Honey), and this, and today was her favorite by far.

• I was expecting some strong fruit funkiness here, and this did not disappoint. The flavor was more complex though - I got a wine vibe on the finish, which must be the cabernet that was mentioned. I didn't quite get mango fruit - it was more of a berry-like fruitiness for me - and no strong chocolate or coconut notes from what I could taste in my brew. I definitely enjoyed the journey on this one.

• Probably the most surprising combo of flavors I've had in the advent. Definitely a funky coffee with characteristics I'm not used to and have a hard time explaining.
    Also curious how the baristas knew to go with such a small grind for this one. Always surprised at the variety of grind size in the advent with some around 500 microns while others are almost double that around 800 microns.
    I immediately detected a grape / dried fruit flavor upon sipping. A little bit of chocolate as well. Unfortunately, I'm not detecting any of the coconut and I was excited to experience that flavor. 

• Followed the brew guide for espresso and it came out perfect. The mango came out immediately. Wow. No mistaking that flavor. As it cooled, more complex flavors came out. A wine flavor, which must be the Cabernet. A very rich chocolate finish. This was delightful to the end.