Onyx Coffee Lab
market locale: en-us
url prefix:

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 5: Mexico Puebla Zapotitlan #2 | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 5: Mexico Puebla Zapotitlan #2

• Grown by small-holder producers and sourced and assembled by our friends at Red Fox coffee, this Zapotitlan lot is the archetypal washed lot from Mexico we chose to feature within the Advent Calendar. This lot begins sweet and slightly herbal up front, but cools into a spiced experience of walnut and dried fruit.

Tasting Notes:
    Walnut, Dried Cherry, Clove, Silky

ADVENT OVERVIEW

DAY 5 - BREW GUIDE

ORIGAMI W/ KALITA 185 FLAT FILTER

COFFEE: 25G

WATER: 400G AT 205°F

GRIND

7.5 EK43
    515 Microns
    11 Baratza Encore
    5e Baratza Vario+
    17 Comandante C40
    3.3 Fellow Ode Gen 2

BREW

Bloom to 50g
    0:30 - Heavy center pour to 200g
    1:30 - Spiral pour to 300g
    2:00 - Spiral pour to 400g
    ~3:10 drain

• I am a day ahead right now and wanted to know the brew guide for this coffee?  I made a 19g pourover this morning in the Next Level Pulsar. Ground it coarse (setting 7.2) in my Fellow Ode with SSP burrs. Started with a low temp 56g bloom at 122F for about 1 minute. Then released the low temp water into the carafe.  Then I poured up to 150g of 204F water from my Stagg EKG and let that steep until about 2:20.  At 2:20 I released the steep and continued with short pours with the valve open until I hit 323g.  My brew cycle ended at 5:10.  The brew hit the tasting notes above with the walnut and cherry flavor.  I am going to try for a little more body/balance on my next attempt.  Still have enough coffee for 2 more brew attempts at around 18g each!

• @Matthew Koerten 

Change the date on your computer to unlock the next day's brew guides.  Not all the videos are there yet, but I'm assuming they will be soon.  Or "view source" and read the html.

• Lots of upfront spiciness on this one. The flavour notes are more pronounced and I found I wasn't digging around too much to determine what each flavour was, perhaps owing to the finer grind. Saying that, I actually found this one of the less interesting coffees so far. I expect that is personal preference but this didn't hit the mark for me.

• brewed mine this morning on my V60  using the recommended brew settings on my encore. At first, I thought the grind would be too fine, but turned out to be spot on.  I don’t have too much experience with Mexican coffee but i found this to be quite pleasant.  Good but no real wow factor.  

First sip i got walnut taste that nicely transitioned into a spiciness flavor. Finished off nice and silky that slowly disappeared.  Definitely a good coffee to drink black.

As a side note, anyone happen to know the roast date of these beans?

• Day 5! 

Brewed this the same as all the previous days just adjusted the grind size to get the desired brew time. If anyone has any tip on how to deal with the stalling I'm getting or opus grind settings it would be appreciated. 

I immediately get a nice nuttiness and then followed by what I perceive to be orange? But maybe that's the dry fruit. I believe this is the first coffee I've had from Mexico and I'm really enjoying it. 

• @Nick Valaitis I did search for some roast date information but came up short. I like to make a few notes on coffees I have tasted so this would be a nice addition to the website / forum etc.

• @Jordan Sadler 

I found this in the FAQ's section on the Advent page:

"We have purposefully roasted each offering on a schedule that goes with the advent order to allow at least 28 days of off gassing before consuming. This should allow enough rest in the coffee to allow free carbon dioxide to leave the pores of the coffee creating even particle size when grinding and therefore a great extraction. The bag will have some oxygen inside, but not enough or time contact to oxidize. All the coffees used are fresh crop harvests so they should be peaking as you consume."

• Hi Everyone. I have a coffee question and would love some help (not exactly specific to this coffee but something I'm learning from the guides so far)

- I brew with a 10 cup Chemex, Stagg EKG kettle, and grind with the Breville Smart Grinder. I've learned that the Breville grinder can grind really fine (even for their suggested levels). Today's brew I used the 53 grind setting. It took me about 7 and a half minutes to brew today.

- I really struggle with hitting the brew times. I'm not sure if I'm grinding too fine, but I don't get the bitterness of a brew that was too fine. I live in Denver so I'm not sure if elevation is the reason, but I had the same issues in Dallas. Not sure if this was descript enough, but would love some help to get the best of what I do. Thanks in advance!

• I've brewed this today around the same as the other days, though with a finer grind and a bit more water. The beans initially smelled a bit acidic and I wanted to cut that off before I soured up my cup.

The smell coming off of this is really quite sweet. Kind of reminds me of burnt caramel maybe a hint of spice or wood. Flavor wise I'm getting little to no spice, its much more nutty and woody. Not bad by any means but more middle of the road for me

• @John Bruszer Hi, I'm using the same grinder. I'm finding optimal levels be to be in the 40s for my chemex. I don't really venture into 50's unless I'm using a french press. So I guess my only advice would be to lower the grind size a bit, it helps lengthen the extraction time, just don't go below say 42 ish or it kind of stalls the brew in my experience anyway.

• This one I felt, was incredibly smooth. I grinded at 515ym on my Zerno HU burr set and used a V60 for brewing. Little to no spiciness as described but for me heavy on the walnut and silky mouth feel. As it cooled I get more dried fruit notes and the faintest quip of acidity.

• I'm glad I keep checking the brew guide because the grind recommendation keeps changing.

Upon my first taste, this brew seemed 'darker' to me. In other words, it seemed to have a more earthy and woody type of flavor. Very smooth going down and minimal amount of acidity in the aftertaste. After a bit of time, I could detect the dried fruit flavor a bit more on my palate. This might be my first mexican coffee and I am very impressed.

I will say, my favorite part of today was just trying to say Zapotitlan. Never heard that word before!

• @John Bruszer Hi John, I wouldn't get to hung up on exact drain times if you are using a different dripper. The Chemex, with its very thick filter paper, will traditionally drain much longer. Although due to the coarser grind setting and thick filter paper it can still avoid some of the pitfalls of longer brewtimes, like bitterness and dryness.

So, it's not that your grind is too coarse. Rather, I expect 5-7m for Chemex recipes.

• My partner was over and happened to have studied abroad in Puebla, so sharing this with her was fun! While we both liked it, and I was getting most of the right notes, I'm finding it to be very hollow and empty. Near the bottom of the pack only ahead of the Day 3 Kenya Gichathaini AA.

I do get a very strong nutty (almond/walnut) flavor upfront, with a dry cherry like tartness. As this coffee cools down, a nutty profile lingers on the palatte, and a slight acidity is noticed....maybe a little caramel/cocoa after a few minutes. Not getting any spice. Overall, this is nearly identical to a latin american house blend coffee I got from Cafe Corazon (Latinx coffee shop in KC, roasted by Messenger Coffee) last year, and I had the same experience. In that case, resting the beans longer helped some...but no grind setting, brew temp, or recipe change made it "pop" for me. 

I did 2 pour-overs with this:

• one scaled up to 37.5g/600mL, ground slightly coarser than recommneded, prepared w/ my Hario Switch. This attempt was done in a hurry before a meeting, wasn't as well extracted, but manged to bring out more of the Bing Cherry flavors.
    • the second I followed the recommended recipe/settings w/ my V60, but did a 250mL brew. This one brought out the forward nuttiness and more flavor all around.

• @Alan Carpenter that's apt! The longer I wait after taking a sip, the more I notice the woodiness, as if I was just chewing on a stick...and an almost unpleasant acidity. Maybe I'll pop some Tums. 

• As a 2.3:1 BR espresso, a reasonbly good shot, some acid-sour, walnut dryness, baking spice leaning toward clove + some chocolate on the finish.

• 1st brew: Espresso in an Americano
    Spicy, juicy ripe fruits, more nuttiness as it cooled.

2nd brew: V60
    Much more roasted nuts - roasted hazelnuts and a walnut bitterness.
    dried fruit quick punch like apricot, cherry, raisin
    not as much spice on the pourover as in the espresso for me.

I typically love nutty, chocolaty coffees which this had some elements of but was missing some creaminess for me personally. I enjoyed it but it's one that I wouldn't want a whole bag of, It's great for a day in the calendar.

• Can't remember having had beans from Mexico the last time, definitely an exciting brew. Followed the recipe, used my gen 1 Ode on 3.3 (the first marker after 3) and brewed the coffee in my V60.

I immediately smelled walnuts, but having a hard time identifying cherry and clove. It's definitely very smooth, silky.

• @Elika Liftee for president

• @John Bruszer Hi John, when trying to match up the grind size to the recommended size posted on Oynx website I use this guide to see where my Breville should match up. https://honestcoffeeguide.com/breville-sage-the-dose-control-pro-grind-settings/

• @John Bruszer John sorry I forgot to mention this. The chemex will have a longer brew time than that what they recommend because they are using different equpiment. I have found sucess with the stated ratios, but changing the timing of the pours. I let the coffee bloom as normal and do the directed pours once my previous pour has mostly filtered out. On average it take 1-2 min longer than stated.  I am still new to this, so there may be a reason with the chemex to use a different coffee ground to water ratio that we should be using but I don't know. 

I have been watching a lot of guides by James Hoffman, who said the chemex takes a bit longer with brew times in comparison. Onyx also has some excellent brew guides but the chemex ones are a few years old now. 

• I can't remeber my grinder settings from this morning but I got a nice silky texture and some cherry. I am suprised how many of the flavor notes I am identifying from the coffees. I am using this box to teach myself about coffee brewing and tasing and fine myself surprised. For a short time I tried to taste more complex flavors in wine and with no sucess, so its nice to be able to identify subtle flavors in the coffee. 

This one is rather lovely, my favorite part is the mouth feel. 7/10 

• Of cousre, I'm late, because of travel, but this is also quite good. I found the mouth feel good and it is a smooth coffee with less brightness than the last ones. I liked the taste later of sweet fruits and nuts with spice. It makes it almost feel like a Chirstmas coffee!

• 1 / 2