Onyx Coffee Lab
market locale: en-int
url prefix: /en-int

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 23: Ethiopia Guji Bale Mountain Natural | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 23: Ethiopia Guji Bale Mountain Natural

• This natural lot comes to us from Red Fox Coffee. This archetypal lot from Guji sits on the border of washed and natural in terms of cup profile. With crisp pear and ripe raspberry, this coffee from Bale mountain is clean and sweet in only the way that coffees from Guji can be.

Tasting Notes:
    Raspberry, Pear, Milk Chocolate, Jasmine

Click here for Advent Brew Guide

BREW GUIDE

ORIGAMI W/ CONE FILTER

COFFEE: 25G

WATER: 400G AT 204°F

GRIND

6.5 EK43
    442 Microns
    8 Baratza Encore
    4c Baratza Vario+
    15 Comandante C40
    2 2/3 Fellow Ode Gen 2

BREW

Bloom to 50g
    0:30 - Heavy center pour to 200g
    1:30 - Spiral pour to 300g
    2:00 - Spiral pour to 400g
    ~4:00 drain

• Brewed this on my kalita today and wow this coffee is amazing. Taste like i'm drinking a decadent milk chocolate and raspberry chocolate bar. I do get a note lingering in the finish that I could equate to jasmine tea, but the raspberry and chocolate really stand out.

Looking back on the past coffees i'd say this would make it into my top 8, maybe even my top 5. Sad the advent is almost over, but now i'm even more hyped for tomorrow's coffee. 

• This one stalled out on me on the Chemex even with a grind size adjustment, so my brew time was extended. First sip was really nice, strong milk chocolate notes, with the berry notes very muted. As it cooled, more of the fruit notes came out including berry, but it maintained tea-like character with some florals. Enjoyed it, but want to try it again without the stall.

• @Chuck Benemerito Also stalled for me on my V60 after 6 minutes with some water still in the filter, I just stopped it. Im getting the berries and chocolate on my first sip. Maybe some jasmine tea as it cools. Not getting much bitterness, which I was worried about given the surprisingly fine grind. 

• Got some major stalling today. I pulled it off at 4 minutes and it still had water in the brewer. I get milk chocolate and fruit right off the bat. Very tea like and very enjoyable. 

• This coffee was nothing short of a premature Christmas miracle.

I had never, and would not have, attempted a V60 at < 3 on my Ode Gen 2, and the comments had me concerned, but the last mL of visible water receded into the bed at 4:00 on the dot. Secondly, this seems to have broken the pattern of noticably more stale, "meh" coffees on the backend of the advent; It was juicy, vibrant, and full. Lastly, the prevailing fruit note was Raspberry and I didn't hate it.

Lots of strong, juicy berry flavor but enough milk chocolate that I wouldn't characterize it as a "fruity" coffee. Then, whereas some of the honey processed coffees with similar notes from earlier had a rich, full bodied, decadent, "desserty" profile, this one still had a strong tea based. Wish I knew what Jasmine actually tasted like, but the tea is heavily floral.

I still prefer these tea-like Ethiopia coffees washed, delicate and lighter bodied, but this one was a success.

• I was so excited for this coffee, which is right up my alley, but I really didn't get anything at all from this cup, other than a lingering mouthfeel. Not sure if my technique was lacking, although my kalita drained at 4:15, albeit with a pretty wide and deep crater right down the center. 

• Being a webcam in bongamodels.com has been an incredibly fulfilling experience for me. It's allowed me to express myself creatively, connect with people from all over the world, and earn a living doing something I enjoy. The flexibility of setting my own schedule is a huge plus, as it gives me the freedom to pursue other interests and responsibilities. Moreover, the support from the community and the positive feedback I receive boost my confidence daily. Overall, being a webcam model has brought me happiness, empowerment, and a sense of fulfillment that I didn't expect but am grateful for every day.