Onyx Coffee Lab
market locale: en-us
url prefix:

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 16: Ethiopia Gedeb Gotiti | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 16: Ethiopia Gedeb Gotiti

• Washed coffees from the Gedeb region are often shining examples of why Ethiopia is the north star for processing and cultivation. This offering from Banko Gotiti fits the mold of the archetype of washed coffees, reminding us of fresh melon, delicate jasmine, finishing with lasting orange and cardamom. As with most washed Ethiopian offerings, we thoroughly enjoy these coffees for their utility both as espresso or filter brews.

Tasting Notes:
    Earl Grey, Raw Sugar, Apple, Orange

Click here for Advent Brew Guide

BREW GUIDE

ORIGAMI W/ CONE FILTER

COFFEE: 25G

WATER: 400G AT 204°F

GRIND

9.2 EK43
    632 Microns
    16 Baratza Encore
    6u Baratza Vario+
    21 Comandante C40
    4.3 Fellow Ode Gen 2

BREW

Bloom to 50g
    0:30 - Heavy center pour to 200g
    1:30 - Spiral pour to 300g
    2:00 - Spiral pour to 400g
    ~3:40 drain

• Each day I've been doing either a Pulsar, v60, or an aeropress brew along with an espresso which truly has just been a shot in the dark (pun intended) with no chance of dialing in. This has resulted in shots ranging from horrendous to pretty great, but this morning I got lucky and pulled just the most beautifully dialed in espresso with this coffee! It was a bright and clean cup with the earl grey and apple notes I got from a percolation brew while allowing it to accentuate some berry like acidity without being overly sour.

The final spec of the brew was 3 seconds at 3 bars of pressure followed by a quick ramp up to 9 bars and once hitting 9 bars slowly ramping down to 7 bars and then holding 7 bars for the remainder of the brew which ended in 25 seconds. did 18g of coffee in and brewed to 43g of espresso. The machine is a Flair 58 (on the highest heat setting, water at 208°F/97.8°C) and a DF64 grinder with SSP multimodal burrs.

• Very nice brew today! I've been using Scott Rao's recipe for the pulsar, and it hasn't failed me yet, though occasionally I'll have to tweak my grind setting if drawdown is too long. I also get the guessing game of trying to dial in your grinder, even for filter. I'm using the Itop 40+ with 64mm blind burs that are a clone of the SSP MPs. I know what range is good for filter on this grinder (that I mainly use for espresso) but figuring out where to go in that range can sometimes be a challenge.

ANYWAYS ... This is a very nice cup. From the tasting notes above, I do get the tea, but more jasmin than earl grey, I get the raw sugar sweetness, mixed with orage, and a hint of baking spices (cardamom, perhaps?).

• This cup has been rather delightful. Absolutely get a sweet fruity flavor along with the earl grey tea. This is now coming in as a close second for to me next to day 2.

It is getting some sour notes as it cools but even that's not entirely a bad thing

• The washed Ethiopian's from Onyx so far have been consistently stellar and up my alley, and this one rather surprised me. I've never experienced anything resembling Honeycrisp Apple in a coffee before, and that's all I got to begin with. Neither my partner nor I picked up on Earl Grey tea in this, and I didn't notice much sugar, but delicate (I think Black still) tea notes emerged for me a while after taking a sip, and are lasting for a while. I can also pick out orange and maybe some tropical fruit up front as the coffee cools, but tart apple was my first impression.

• @Alan Carpenter I too liked this day as a runner up to day #2 👍🏻

• Studying abroad was an amazing experience, but it came with its own set of challenges, particularly in meeting the academic writing standards of a different education system. I found myself struggling until I discovered uk essay writing service reviews . The platform offered me tailored writing services that matched the specific requirements of my courses. Each essay I received was articulate, well-researched, and formatted correctly.