Onyx Coffee Lab
market locale: en-us
url prefix:

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 17: Mexico Finca Las Chicharras Natural | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 17: Mexico Finca Las Chicharras Natural

• This is a lively natural-processed lot from our friend Tim at Bodhi Leaf coffee. Exceeding the expected profile of coffees from this region, Las Chicharras is deeply complex and sweet, reminding us of mixed berries and plum, making it an easy addition to the Advent lineup.

Tasting Notes:
    Mixed Berries, Molasses, Plum, 60% Dark Chocolate

Click here for Advent Brew Guide

BREW GUIDE

ORIGAMI W/ CONE FILTER

COFFEE: 25G

WATER: 400G AT 203°F

GRIND

8.5 EK43
    584 Microns
    14 Baratza Encore
    6e Baratza Vario+
    19 Comandante C40
    4 Fellow Ode Gen 2

BREW

Bloom to 50g
    0:30 - Heavy center pour to 200g
    1:30 - Spiral pour to 300g
    2:00 - Spiral pour to 400g
    ~3:10 drain

• Great balance of dark yet sweet! One of my favorites so far

• Brewed in the Orea V3 mk2 at the recommended grind. The berry and chocolate tastes really shine.

• The chocolate scent and flavor on this one are out of this world. It's crazy strong. The berries come in as it cools I'm finding that I can taste the molasses a little bit but not as strong as I'd like. Definitely a good coffee

• Love the softer notes of this compared to many of the others. Maybe it's a lighter roast? The plum rounds out the overall feel. I taste tobacco. I'm using my reasonable espresso machine for these. Can somebody please tell me the best pour over set-up to purchase? Seems like many folks are using this method to taste these. It must be the way to go I'm thinking...

• Prepared with V60 and standard recipe per usual. I got strong seedy notes remniscent of sunflower, along with expected mixed berry and a little milk chocoalte that intensified inversely to temperature. Really does taste like those chocolate covered sunflower seeds with some added flavoring. For a berry forward coffee, which I don't generally care for as much, I prefered it to the Guatemala Finca Travesia Natural; It was better balanced and not as overwhelming. 7.5/10.

• I'm back to the advent after spending a week in Costa Rica.
    Brewed this with V60 using the recipe. This is a solid coffee. Definitely picking up on the Cocoa and Chocolate flavors, but I would say it tastes like more than 60% chocolate to me. Maybe 70 or 75.
    Initially I'm not detecting much berry flavor or sweetness. Still didn't detect berry after waiting a bit longer.
    Still happy with this brew though.

• One of my favorites!!

• @Onyx quick question. How do you decide to use a cone filter vs flat bottom filter for particular coffees? 

• @Todd Anderson I'll hop in here and say that changing out filter will affect the flow rate of the coffee through the Origami. With variance of roast level comes a big variance in solubility, so we have tailored the flow rate for these brew guides the best we can by recommending a filter that best fits within the parameters by which the coffee tasted the best.

IMO, you can use whatever you have at home. I personally prefer a cone filter in my Origami across the board. 

• Revisited this coffee again today and was pleasantly surprised at the fruitiness of the cup. Although I think I brewed it the same way, I don't remember getting such a big fruit factor on the initial brew. So weird. I really like this cup of coffee and maybe the key was giving it a bit of time to cool down.

• Вам интересно, как тейпирование может помочь вам справиться с травмами и болями? Тогда обязательно посетите блог магазина тейпов на medbalance.by/category/news. Здесь вы найдете подробные статьи о том, как использовать тейпы для реабилитации после травм, улучшения подвижности суставов и снижения боли. Подробные инструкции и видеоуроки помогут вам освоить технику тейпирования и применять ее в домашних условиях. Узнайте больше о преимуществах тейпирования и начните заботиться о своем здоровье уже сегодня с medbalance.by!