Onyx Coffee Lab
market locale: en-us
url prefix:

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 15: Kenya Kagunyu AA Natural | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 15: Kenya Kagunyu AA Natural

• The Kagunyu factory is a legendary station we visited three years ago. Since, they’ve reserved some of their raised bed space to produce naturals like this one. A shining example of the innovation of simplicity, this natural from Kagunyu is tropical fruit laden, reminiscent of peaches and honeycomb in sweetness.

Tasting Notes:
    Pineapple, Honeycomb, Lemon Tart, Peach

Click here for Advent Brew Guide

BREW GUIDE

ORIGAMI W/ CONE FILTER

COFFEE: 25G

WATER: 400G AT 205°F

GRIND

8.2 EK43
    562 Microns
    13 Baratza Encore
    5t Baratza Vario+
    19 Comandante C40
    3 2/3 Fellow Ode Gen 2

BREW

Bloom to 50g
    0:30 - Heavy center pour to 200g
    1:30 - Spiral pour to 300g
    2:00 - Spiral pour to 400g
    ~3:15 drain

• I'm loving the naturals in the calendar so far. Found this to be very balanced (as advertised), citrusy and sweet without punching you in the face. The Kenya coffees have been the biggest surprises to me so far - shining examples of clean, fruit-forward coffees while still being approachable

• My initial thought was "muted" but I started to get the pineapple and peach about halfway through the cup. I agree with @Wade Oakley with the term balanced. This would be a good coffee for someone wanting to make the move from darker, traditional-tasting coffees to lighter, sweeter ones in my opinion. 

Having watched Lance's video on coffee tasting, would anyone else say this is a "high-fidelity" cup and not a "high-clarity" cup? I want to up my tasting verbiage and hope that I understood his video. I watched a James Hoffman video as well. Does anyone have any other videos or books they recommend for a novice looking to dive deeper into tasting? 

• I really liked this one too. I got a lot of acidity and brightness at first sip, with notes of sharper fruit like pineapple. As the cup cooled, more of the citrus came out, and even some chocolate notes, almost like a chocolate-covered graprefruit (if that's a thing). 

I agree that this one seems more approachable for regulars who haven't explored these types of roasts before - more so than I'd say yesterday's Panama was.

• I'm enjoying this one, not as fruity as some of the others. I upped my grind size to 44 on my BSMGP and it dropped the acid/sour notes by a ton. I'm left with honey and a lingering sense of fruit though I'm not apt enough to digest which one exactly. It kind of switches on me but peach absolutely comes out more often than not

• Tried this as regular and iced V60s. I got mostly brightness and honeycomb at first, then a very distinct pineapple note. It appeared more fruity than sweet as it came down in temperature.

Overall, very nice tropical contrast to the Panama yesterday.

• The coffee is very fruity with a vibrant citrus acidity and long finish. I can pick up apricot, pineapple, and lemon. The body is moderately light, with a bright acidity, and a black tea like composition. I like this coffee.

• Finally got around to making my coffee for today. Brewed this one on my Origami using a first gen Ode, and let me say, the pineapple note is very forward! I haven't loved many Kenyans I've tried but this coffee is amazing. The advent has truly been an eye opening and fun experience. 

• Quite an intense coffee from my perspective. Firstly noticed a high amount of acidity and sourness to after brewing. I'm giving it some time to cool to see if it settles. 
    Unfortunately, I'm just not that into this flavor profile, or I did a poor job of extracting. This one would go pretty low on my list personally, but I'm sure others love it. Just haven't figured out how to enjoy these more complicated cups.

• Sprawdź, jakie są koszty usług księgowych w Warszawie na 2024 rok. PWK Group oferuje pełen zakres usług księgowych w konkurencyjnych cenach (pwkgroup.pl/pl/czeny-pl). Odwiedź cennik usług księgowych na naszej stronie, aby znaleźć pakiet, który najlepiej odpowiada Twoim potrzebom. Nie czekaj, zobacz naszą ofertę już teraz!