Onyx Coffee Lab
market locale: en-us
url prefix:

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 13: Krampus PB | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 13: Krampus PB

• This is a peaberry selection from the Rungeto Factory in the Kii cooperative of Kenya. Each season, the Rungeto factory will bulk it’s peaberry from the peak outturns, giving us the ability to create our seasonal single-origin known as Krampus. Well-developed and dense, this coffee boasts burned citrus and deep chocolate notes… all feature on what some consider to be the unlucky number of Day 13.

Tasting Notes:
    Bruleed Grapefruit, Chocolate Cake, Tobacco, Viscous

Click here for Advent Brew Guide

BREW GUIDE

ORIGAMI W/ FLAT KALITA FILTER

COFFEE: 25G

WATER: 400G AT 200°F

GRIND

8 EK43
    550 Microns
    13 Baratza Encore
    5p Baratza Vario+
    18 Comandante C40
    3.66 Fellow Ode Gen 2

BREW

Bloom to 50g
    0:30 - Heavy center pour to 200g
    1:30 - Spiral pour to 300g
    2:00 - Spiral pour to 400g
    ~3:05 drain

• Been waiting for this day since i saw the word Krampus thinking what the heck is that?!  This has moved into my 1st place. Juicy and Sweet to the nose.  Very reminiscent of a Kenyan. Dense and richness like a dark coffee but on the light side. Lucky 13 strikes with Krampus

• Chocolate cake is a great tasting note. Great video too today - loving this coffee. Bought a set of the Krampus/Framily duo as a gift for friends... but might be keeping it 🤫 

• I was a little nervous to try today's because it seemed different than a lot of the previous days' coffees. I'm pleasantly surprised. I can definitely taste the chocolate cake when I think about it. I'm personally getting more of a spiced citrusy note, especially right at the beginning of a sip. I don't get much of a tobacco flavor, but I got hints of it as an aroma during the brewing process. Not my favorite so far, but I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected. My wife gave it a 9/10 and I'll give it more of 6.5-7/10. It doesn't taste bad, just very different than what I typically prefer. 

• Heavy tobacco notes for me, with the burnt  citrus at the end. This one is that kind of bizarreness I'm absolutely here for. Cool coffee, Onyx!

• Brewed as prescribed but in the fellow stagg XF. Getting heavy tobacco notes while hot and stronger chocolate taste when cool. This is definitely one of the most interesting brews so far. Moved up to the number 2 spot for me!

• This one as others have said is interesting. Heavy notes of tobacco, in fact if you smell the bag after emptying the beans it straight up smells like a cigarette. I'm getting burnt sugars and tobacco smoke from this one. Its not unpleasant though I can't see myself enjoying this on the regular. I also notice one of the notes is "viscous" thats a great term here. This coffee absolutely feels viscous, thick in some way. It coats the tongue not letting the flavor disappate. It takes over, and thats not a bad thing.

• This kind of roast isn't usually my thing, but I enjoyed this one more than I thought. Definitely got more of the toasty, chocolate vibe than the strong fruitiness of most of the other coffees, but I did get some zing on the finish and tasted more of that citrus that usually comes out in Kenyans. I liked the body of this one - not super full-bodied, but still coated the tongue and gave the warm and fuzzies as it went down. Brewed it on a Chemex which might have thinned it out a bit.

• Like all the other Kenyan coffees, this one just missed the mark for me. My first cup was a V60 per recommendations, and it took it completely cooling down for me to pick up any other notes than an almost bitter, undeveloped citris note. In the last couple sips I finally noticed some of the caramelized fruit and tobacco (my flash in the pan cigar phase finally came in handy!), and perhaps unsweetened baking chocolate. Tobacco and bitter citrus are the predemient flavors overall.

Suspecting the flavors would hold up really well, I tried an Eggnog latte with my Moka Pot for the second serving. That was pretty decent. The citrus and burnt notes did shine through and provide contrast to what could be an overly sweet beverage. I think this would do really well with real Espresso.

• Even though I typically lean towards lighter roasts, I was excited to try the foreboding Krampus. I was pleasantly suprised! The roasty, tobacco-esque notes are dominant, but the burnt sugar and chocolate notes do shine through the cracks. 

I don't smoke, but I feel this coffee would go great with a cigarette lol.

• This is definitely off the beaten path for Onyx and not flavors that I would choose.  Extracted as a 2:1 29g  26s shot aimed to be slightly underextracted to reduce the concentration of the bitter and tobacco flavors.  On the acidic side with some dryness, but cooled to a surprislingly sweet shot with with subdued chocolate, vegetal-tobacco and burnt dryness.  I expected to hate this, but the sweetness redeemed it.  

• I brewed this in my Chemex with the standard white filter paper. The coffee is potent, sweet, and fruity. I can pick up some sweet grapefruit like citrus notes, dark cooking chocolate, a molasses like finish. The body is robust, with a bright acidity, and a very juicy composition. I'm not a dark roast fan, but I like this coffee. I also made this as an espresso and it was fantastic. 

• I recently discovered a product called Cinnatropin HGH on the website cinnatropin 10 mg https://misterolympia.shop/product/cinnatropin-hgh-10-mg-1-5-ml-cinnagen-iran/ . After researching its benefits and reading positive reviews, I decided to purchase it to enhance my athletic performance. I'm excited to see how Cinnatropin HGH will help me reach my fitness goals.