Onyx Coffee Lab
market locale: en-us
url prefix:

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 11: El Salvador Santa Rosa | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 11: El Salvador Santa Rosa

• This coffee is the pinnacle of immaculate processing meets variety. Processed by Jorge Rivera, this washed Pacamara offers up delicate florals like rose, braced by the tart acidity and sweetness of white grape and fig. We consider Jorge to be one of the seminal relationships for Onyx in Central America, and we are excited to feature his washed Pacamara in Advent.

Tasting Notes:
    Rose, White Grape, Fig, Black Tea

Click here for Advent Brew Guide

BREW GUIDE

ORIGAMI W/ KALITA FLAT FILTER

COFFEE: 25G

WATER: 400G AT 202°F

GRIND

8.2 EK43
    569 Microns
    13 Baratza Encore
    5v Baratza Vario+
    19 Comandante C40
    3.66 Fellow Ode Gen 2

BREW

Bloom to 50g
    0:30 - Heavy center pour to 200g
    1:30 - Spiral pour to 300g
    2:00 - Spiral pour to 400g
    ~3:00 drain

• This was an interesting one. My immediate thought was "what is that i'm tasting"  I had to look at the tasting notes to figure it out. The black tea was very evident and clear on this one with hints of rose and subtle sweetness on the back end.  But the black tea taste lasted through the entire cup.  It's a good cup, just not my style. 

So glad i decided to bring my coffee on the trip. I didn't want to miss any days. 

• This one is tasting like black tea more than anything for me. Pretty nice overall.

• Happy to see Nick bright his coffee along for the trip.

Super agree on the black tea. The juicy grape and subtle fig sweetness only emerged for me once the coffee had a few minutes to rest and cool. Pleasant cup. I'm enjoying the contrasting pallettes in the box so far. I'm looking forward to pulling a shot with this one later.

• I'm not new to coffee, but I am new to "tasting". Is it common for the taste to get brighter and/or sweeter as it cools? Today's coffee started heavy on the tongue and more "traditional" tasting until it cooled for a few minutes. It started to taste much sweeter, and very delicious, after that. I honestly wasn't a huge fan right off the bat but it grew on me significantly as I let it set and cool some. I guess I'm just curious if that's a technique issue or a common element of tasting coffee. 

Thanks to everyone for their patience with me in the forum. This is my first real venture into journaling and tasting so I'm very green and very curious. I love being able to discuss and ask questions with everyone as we all try the same coffee at the same time.

• First thing I noticed was how different the body was. Not as "juicy" as the honey processed. I was tasting dates, raw sugar, and slight florals. What was really strange is I got the same sensation as when I taste a white wine like a sauvignon blanc (maybe that's the white grape?). Either was it was a great experience to taste the same coffee processed two different ways. 

• Agree with others: I'm getting the black tea and maybe some grape. Also less "juiciness", which I would not have been able to describe until I saw that word used in tasting notes a few days ago. I'm going to have to try this one and the honey processed one back to back later.

• @David Wills I'm pretty green too, but 100%. You'd enjoy a guided coffee tasting. I stopped in Unflitered while visiting Dublin, and had a blast trying a Panama Geisha (I think this or similar). The Barista served it with a temperature sensor mounted above the cup, and would have me taste and discuss notes w/ him when I hit certain thresholds. I've been told the closer to room temperature the better, but mostly different aromas and specific fruit notes might show up when hotter.

• @David Wills Definitely! Our taste buds pick up on flavor best in a specific temperature range. So at first coffee taste just "hot" lol, but as it gets closer to room temp our taste buds are able to recognize and pick up on more subtle and nuanced flavors that were previously hidden by the high temp. I usually enjoy my coffee best when it's cooled 10-15 mins. 

• I'm really enjoying this one today. I like a "tea like" coffee and I find the tea notes to be present the entire time. I do get a bit of brightness that I'm assuming is supposed to be the white grape, but I'm not an expert coffee taster so I can't quite identify it. It brewed about 5-10 seconds longer than the brew guide but I still feel like I got the right results today.

• Really, really enjoying the strong Black Tea and florals in this. It's not hard to contrast with the honey processed version of the same bean from Day 9; Both offer similarly well balanced, clean, low acidity cups that I imagine most coffee drinkers would enjoy, but the washed version is much drier and lighter bodied.

@Onyx have you ever done or considered selling side by side comparative box sets - like the advent calendar experience, but honing in on 2-3 coffees (such as this and day 9) and one aspect? Loved both and discovering how much of a difference just processing can make when removing other variables. I see all sorts of other possibilities:

• grading size (would love to taste one of those AA Kenyas with a smaller version of the same bean from the same producer)
    • decaf vs. regular of the same blend 
    • different roast profiles (again, of the same bean)

• @Matt Lee tasting "hot" is a great way to put it! I'm going to start waiting longer before my first sips so that it doesn't influence my opinion of the cup too early. 

• @Danny Lovell one of my local coffee shops offered something similar over the summer but I haven't seen them do it again. They said it's hard to staff for an event like that on top of the normal operating staff. Hopefully, I can bug them enough to try it again.

• Today's offering was pretty nice, I definitely agree with the black tea notes. But does/did anyone else get a clove or a cinnamon note on the finish? That was the most memorable note and I absolutely love that, for me though I would have wanted a heavier body but all in all I like it. 

• Santa Rosa was a solid roast/bean. Nutty, rich flavors that are long lasting on the palate. Hints of tobacco. Did it as a short espresso [ristretto]

• @David Wills it does seem like a challenge. My favorite local roaster hosted a lunch hour roast profile overview comparing several of their coffees, and only two people showed up.

• Optimal drinking temp is supposedly 135F - 145F. I have my Ember mug set to 136F. In my limited experience, fruity and sweet notes don't come out until a brew has cooled down to that range (or cooler).

• I'm enjoying this one today. Absolutely fruit notes when smelling it during brewing. It was crazy how different it was.

Tasting I'm getting the tea, almost a dry mouth feel. Its interesting, I get some lingering fruit notes but I couldn't say what it is. Overally a really nice cup. Though I'm noticing if I let it envelop my entire tongue the sides kind of light up with sour? Its a bit unpleasant but dead center its absolutely wonderful. Its an interesting contrast.

• Black tea is the predominant flavor in the blends most shops in the US (that I've been to) use with their espresso drinks.  I don't really want a black tea-flavored cap.  Black tea frequently shows up in Onyx' offerings and tends to dominate regardless of the other notes that may be present.  "White" tea is more of a "team player"and tends to add a floral note to complement the other flavors.

• Do you feel like you're having trouble striking a balance between your personal and academic lives? Then allow me to provide you a www.nursingpaper.com tip. They cover every nursing-related topic, in contrast to other writing services. Their experts in bachelor's, master's, doctorate, and other programs can handle any assignment. Additionally, a vast pool of writers can complete your work in 3 hours or less; 40% of orders are done well in advance of the deadline, according to data.