Onyx Coffee Lab

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia John Diaz Gesha Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Peru Nueva Alianza Gesha COE #9

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia John Diaz Gesha Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Peru Nueva Alianza Gesha COE #9

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 8: Guatemala Finca Travesia Natural | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 8: Guatemala Finca Travesia Natural

• This natural lot is mostly a yellow-bourbon variety grown in beautiful Antigua on Finca Travesia. We included this coffee in Advent to show the broader range of coffee within Guatemala, and this coffee definitely showcases this with notes of melon and mixed berries, with a bright acidity. Expect this to be a fruit-forward showcase, highlighting the expanding processes and coffees of Guatemala.

Tasting Notes:
    Mixed Berries, Cacao Nib, Sorghum, Honeydew Melon

Click here for Advent Brew Guide

BREW GUIDE

ORIGAMI W/ KALITA 185 FILTER

COFFEE: 25G

WATER: 400G AT 202°F

GRIND

7.1 EK43
    490 Microns
    10 Baratza Encore
    4s Baratza Vario+
    16 Comandante C40
    3 Fellow Ode Gen 2

BREW

Bloom to 50g
    0:30 - Heavy center pour to 200g
    1:30 - Spiral pour to 300g
    2:00 - Spiral pour to 400g
    ~2:50 drain

• These finer grind sizes are a real workout in the morning with a hand grinder 🥵 

This really packed an instant flavour punch for a bright coffee. Plenty of berry on first sip and then melon. It's all very prominent. One of the fruitiest coffees I can remember drinking. There's a sweetness as it cools, which adds a nice dimension to the flavours. I had to look up Sorghum from the tasting notes and I'm still unsure of what that might taste like.

•  This is not what I expected from a Guatemalan coffee. Usually those coffees are a little bit more earthy. This was not and was a very bright cup. I definitely tasted the berries, but didn’t get the taste of  cocoa nibs until the aftertaste.  I sense the roast date went back further than the others as the beans didn’t seem as fresh as the others. This would make for an incredible espresso 7-10  off of roasting.

Brewed this on v60 20g 16:1 ratio.  No stalling on this one. In fact it went rather quickly. Could’ve possibly been the new V6 filters I just got which seemed thinner than the normal Hario filters.

• I noticed a lot of great flavor right at the first sip. My taste preference is usually the lighter, citrusy roasts but I've been enjoying the brightness and sweetness from the last few coffees. The quality of the beans and roasts from Onyx is shining. It's hard to get a good quality, full-flavor cup with, what I call, a more "traditional" tasting coffee. I'm not great at finding tasting notes but I'm trying hard to journal what I think when I taste the coffee which has been a lot of fun.

This is my first time experiencing Onyx coffees and I couldn't be more pleased with the journey and experience so far. It's nice being able to try so many different types of coffee without buying full bags at a time. I wish samples or sample packs were available from more places regularly.

• This one was interesting. I don't recall having a natural from Guatemala before. Definitely brighter with more acidity than a typical washed Guatemalan, and the natural berry funk was the dominant note for sure. The sweetness to me was more nuanced/muted, behind that dominant berry note, though as the aftertaste lingers as I type this, I'm getting that familiar Guatemalan vibe. It'll be interesting to taste some of the other naturals later in the month to see how they compare.

• I don't know if it's just me, but I got practically NONE of those indicated flavor notes.  Followed the brew guide to a T on an origami pourover.  I'm picking up grapefruit, tropical fruit acidity and even some earthy herbaceous notes as it cools.  I got no berry, melon or sweetness, definitely some brightness, jury's out on cacao nibs as I've never made a point to taste that, so it's always a little lost on me. Still an excellent overall cup.  Anyone else have this experience?

• @Samuel Seth Hanon I would mostly agree. I'm having trouble picking out fruit notes, or if I do recognize them its more in the aftertaste. However I do in fact like cacao nibs and this speaks pretty closely to those. Think bitter dark chocolate but really intense.

Overall this is a really good coffee. I'm enjoying it and as mentioned by someone else I am getting more sweetness as it cools. The most odd thing I've noticed is during the brewing process the coffee smelled very strongly of perfume that an older lady might wear. I've never smelled anything like it, let alone in coffee. Thankfully that didn't transfer into the final cup.

• This might be a brewing off day, but still turned out decent! I wasn't at home, used my Timemore C2 at 15 clicks past 0, and had a lot of fines/muddiness in my bed compared to what I would have gotten on the equivalent Ode Gen 2. I think this might have contributed to a little bitterness.

That said, what I'm getting is pretty earthy (not in an unpleasant way), with strong blackberry and raspberry notes, with the bitterness being remniscent of berry seeds therefore complimentary in that way. Having trouble getting any melon, but hints of cocoa nibs and maybe sorghum are becoming more prominent as the cup cools.

I naturally don't care for strong berry flavors as much as citrus, tropical, or stonefruit overall, but for what this is, it delivers nicely. Truly not what I would have expected from Columbia.

• I'm happy to hear folks are enjoying this one. Guatemala has always been a challenging place to do naturals for many reasons, one just being it hasn't been the way things are done for SO long, it's difficult to go against the grain and set a protocol for something unknown. 

This season, I endevoured to partner with a friend of mine to aid us in finding more far-flung regions and coffees throughout Guatemala. "anywhere but Huehuetenango" was our mission. This coffee in particular isn't from a one of those far flung regions, but it IS something interesting: a clean, dynamic, and sweet natural from Antigua of all places. I'm glad you all have enjoyed. 

• @Samuel Seth Hanon I'm getting an overwhelming amount of berry. Ground at 6.9 on KMAX using recommended recipe. Do you have good water? 

• I enjoyed this coffee. I definitely got the brightness with notes of fruit and a bit of cocoa nib bitterness at the end. I reverted back to my usual for pour over today but followed their 25g recipe and it brewed in 3 minutes with no stalling so I'm unsure if it was the specific bean or what but I was pleased with today. 

• Brewed this today on Kalita 185 and it was super tasty. I really enjoyed how sweet it was and how juicy it was in the mouthfeel. Got a lot of those mixed berry notes upfront and had a pleasant "bitterness" like cacao in the aftertaste. All in all another solid coffee! 

• I made two 30g brews today instead of my usual three 20g brews. First one on the pulsar, got mostly cocoa nib and a bit of sweetness. Second with the V60, I got strong cocoa when hot, a little more sweet and a touch of raspberry when warm, then when cold I could get some melon if I really thought about it while tasting. I'm also getting some of those herbaceous notes someone else mentioned above. Overall, I think I grinded too fine, drawdown was slower than expected for both of my brews. 

• It's so much fun to get multiple brews that are so different from one another. The Las Lajas, I thought, was going to be my favorite cup from the box, but here we are with a new champ. Bright juicy bursts of melon and berry with that little cacao bitterness to balance it. By far the juiciest mouthfeel I've had from a cup in a minute. Love this one. 
    (Kalita 185 w/ all spiral pours/Encore @ 8, which for me produces similar micron to the brew guide, draw down @ ~3:35)

• This one has been the best espresso for a latte so far. I have been doing v60 and espresso for each day. 

Niche Zero grind at 17

Decent Espresso machine: E61 with fast pre-infusion (4 mL/s). 19g:49g ratio at 202F

Will this coffee be available for purchase? I don't see it on the website @Dakota Graff 

• Going back and completing the advent after missing a week during vacation. Was really happy with this brew. I can detect the cacao / dark chocolate bitterness quite a bit. A little bit of citrus, but definitely not any melon. 
    As far as fruit, I'm not sensing that quite as much. I did a pourouver and had it dialed in pretty well. Very surprised to see the wide range in grind size for brews. Makes me think that I need to spend more time and effort learning how to dial in my grinds in the future.

• Finding an effective essay writing service has been a game-changer for my academic journey. This ghostwriter service not only assists with writing essays but also offers research assistance and citation guidance, ensuring my papers are scholarly and well-supported. Its comprehensive approach to academic writing has significantly boosted my confidence and grades. I highly recommend this service to anyone looking to elevate their essay writing skills and academic performance