Onyx Coffee Lab – Page 2

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia John Diaz Gesha Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Peru Nueva Alianza Gesha COE #9

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia John Diaz Gesha Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Peru Nueva Alianza Gesha COE #9

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 2: Ethiopia Hambela Bishan Fugu | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 2: Ethiopia Hambela Bishan Fugu

• Brew 1 // Orea V3 mk2 w/ Melodrip // 1:16.6

K-Ultra @ 6.3 // 14.3g Coffee : 240g Water @ 97'C // ~2:38 Drain

Comments: The Orea and Melodrip are new to me. My technique is certainly a limiting factor as I explore different recipes, but the flavors that came through were incredibly punchy.

1. Bloom 50g w/ bare kettle and swirl gently
    2. Wait until 40s
    3. Pour remaining water in pulses, allowing to drain just above bed
    4. Gently swirl after final pour as water draws down

Tasting notes: Sharp lime, green fruits, white wine, very faint florals, dryness on finish

Brew 2 // Aeropress - James Hoffman method // 1:18.2

K-Ultra @ 6.5.3 // 14.3g Coffee : 260g Water @ 97'C // Standard orientation // Single paper filter

Comments: A gentler and more rounded cup than the Orea. The lime flavor was tamed and the cup had a much more pleasant sweetness to it that wasn't found in the first brew.

1. Add full volume of water and add plunger
    2. Wait until 2:00
    3. Swirly gently and wait until 2:30
    4. Press gently ~30s

Tasting notes: Lime, syrupy, florals, faint grasslike tones

• @sawyer burnett Thanks for drawing my attention to this section. I hadn't realized it was being updated daily separate from the forum posts for each day, and having more information than the posts themselves!

• @sawyer burnett how do I sign up to receive this?

• @sawyer burnett That chart is great. Thanks for sharing.

• @Jerry Scott I'm not sure what you're referring to since I've posted multiple things in here. None of them are things you need to sign up for though.

1: The advent calendar details are here

2: The grind size chart is here

• @Hannah Barlow now i need to go look for a corn cookie recipe!

• @sawyer burnett We are also using an OXO burr grinder.  Since it has 15 settings and the Baratza Encore has 40, we're converting the posted Baratza Encore setting by multiplying it by .375.  That is working very well for us.  

• @Sergey Akbarov I'm using the drain time as the time to pull the pour-over off my mug, regardless of if there is water left in it.  

• @Jerry Scott The brew guide that @sawyer burnett shared can be found updated daily in the Specifics Matter section here. It would have made sense for @Onyx to also update the forum posts, but thankfully @sawyer burnett has been picking up their slack.

• Usally not a huge fan of coffee with tea in the flavor notes but this was so nice and that I did not miss the body. My grind was a little to fine, 81 on DF64, so the pour was a little slow and the cup was slightly astringent as a result.  This is on my list of possible coffees to explore, in the new year, and really try to dial in on the Bentwood 63.

• I really loved this one as well. I'm a bit of a nut for bright African coffess and Ethopian coffees are often soem of my favorite. I did get the notes that were said here. I especially got the peach notes in the coffee with my clever dripper (which again I have to use because I'm a klutz). This coffee is absoultely the kind of stuff I love!

That said, as I try to keep my coffee consumption to one, maybe two cups, a day, I am moving slower through this. This coffee lasted me two days. While this is an advent calendar, I cannot help but think that I'm celebrating a bit of a channukah miracle. Hah!

• @Alan Carpenter Good to hear, I did the same with my mother in law who primarily likes tea and she loved the coffee!

• Going back to the 9g left after 3 espresso shots and doing a 16:1 V60 slightly finer grind, 3min 15 sec: get the peach, jasmine and white tea- delicate flavors.  

• Проведення часу з близькими людьми - це завжди щось особливе, як і перший день дегустації кави разом із друзями чи родиною. Якщо ви також цінуєте важливість освіти і хочете більше дізнатися про те, як в Україні підтримуються навчальні заклади та професійний розвиток, то варто зазирнути на vvpusp.vn.ua https://vvpusp.vn.ua/. Підтримка та розвиток молодих фахівців сьогодні - це важливий крок до міцного майбутнього.

• 2 / 2