Onyx Coffee Lab
market locale: en-us
url prefix:

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 2: Ethiopia Hambela Bishan Fugu | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 2: Ethiopia Hambela Bishan Fugu

• This washed coffee from the famous Hambela Estate reflects just why we love coffees produced from the Adinews. Each year we include both washed and natural processed coffees from METAD within the Advent calendar, and we are happy to include lot from Bishan Fugu. Expect elevated notes of peach and white tea, with a bright green grape acidy and florals to tie it all together. 

Tasting Notes:
    Peach, Jasmine, Green Grape, White Tea

Click here for Advent Brew Guide

• I'm not a coffee expert but I want to use this forum to track my thoughts on each of these :)

This one was lovely, the smell and taste are amazing. There's something smooth and elegant about it. My only complaint is that the aftertaste seemed a little lackluster and empty.

• @Onyx: Do you have brew parameters? Not seeing them on the Instagram video today. 

• I was panicked this morning to see that one of my children had moved bag 2 into another pouch. Then I discovered that both bags were green in pouch 2 / 23. There's no mistaking my 50/50 stab at getting the right coffee today was correct after brewing and tasting. I normally avoid these slightly lighter, floral coffees just because I prefer something a little more punchy and rich. Even with the beginnings of a winter cold, I can taste the grape here. It's a really complex coffee as it cools I can taste the tea. Really interesting this one! I think I'll stick to the clever dripper, it's so consistent.

• @Christopher James 

BREW GUIDE

ORIGAMI W/ KALITA 185 FILTER

COFFEE: 25G

WATER: 400G AT 203°F

GRIND

11 EK43
    756 Microns
    21 Baratza Encore
    8q Baratza Vario+
    25 Comandante C40
    5 Fellow Ode Gen 2

BREW

Start Timer - Bloom to 50g
    0:30 - Heavy center pour to 200g
    1:30 - Spiral pour to 300g
    2:00 - Spiral pour to 400g
    ~3:11 drain

• Great tip from the Instagram comments to write the numbers on the bags, which I've done this morning to save any stress of those getting reshuffled! The joys of children 😆 

• @Jordan Sadler Thank you! That's a rather coarse grind. Looks like nearly a 1 on my 1Zpresso K-Ultra.

• @Jordan Sadler that's the first thing I did when I opened the box. I just knew sooner or later the bags will get mixed up. 

• @Onyx some quick questions comparing # 2 vs. #1. i'm just wondering about the rationale for the following changes on your reco recipe:

- use of wave filter (vs. conical filter yesterday)

- slightly coarser grind today

- slightly lower temperature today

Thanks in advance! :-)

#2 is an early fave for me. it goes with my preference in filter coffees. luv it!

• @Christopher James That's the exact recipe which can be found on https://onyxcoffeelab.com/products/2023-advent-calendar

I was just informed by a friend each day the coffee goes from text to a link. There's actually the brew guide and short video in the popup there

• My love and I are drinking this coffee on a lazy Saturday morning before wrapping Christmas presents. I can definitely taste the peachy sweetness. 

• I did the recommend recipe

Chemex 

Breville Grinder Pro 

default bur setting | grind size 48 

I can taste a variety of soft forals, can't pick out specifics notes but this is a very nice soft coffee. 8/10 so far.

I'm baking apple butter cinnamon rolls and corn cookies for a bonfire this evening and I couldn't imagine a better coffee to sip while I get ready. 

• @Christopher James I tried it this morning with my normal settings and then this afternoon with the recommended course grind. I think I preferred the finer grind on this one myself but nice to try both ways.

• Used the recommended recipe and the timing was almost perfect. I'm not used to doing the giant middle pour to 200g so that's been interesting to try. Process feels a bit rushed, but I usually go by water level rather than time which might be a mistake.

The main notes I picked up were high acidity and a bit of a stone fruit flavor. I'm trying to taste before looking at the flavor notes, to see if I can detect the same ones, but my palette is definitely not very refined so far.

I do think the stone fruit flavor I detected is similar to peach flavor so that was good.

I think I've decided to consistently use my v60 for the rest of the advent since most of the brew guides seem to use a good pourover recipe.

I'm also using an OXO burr grinder and found the grind size chart here to be super helpful: https://honestcoffeeguide.com/coffee-grind-size-chart/ . Without it, I probably would have chosen a finer grind for this one and might have extracted it poorly.

• I found this coffee to be very subtle and delicate. I brewed an espresso and a pour over and preferred the pour over as it brought out more florals and was softer all around. I got a lot of jasmine and tea and a tiny bit of sweetness. 

• Chemex 

Breville Grinder Pro 

default bur setting | grind size 44

I'm getting tons of peach out of this. I even had my wife who doesn't like coffee smell it and it was all florals and tea. I've never had a coffee quite like this before its really amazing.

@Hannah Barlow I dropped my grind size significantly to try and match the middle of ours from the last coffee and thats done an amazing job. I get so much flavor out of this I don't think I ever have with my chemex before. Though maybe 44 was a bit too small, I did have a slight stall towards the end.

• Day 2!
    Followed the brew guide posted. It's my first time doing the heavy pour to 200 down the center. 
    I'm brewing with a kalita wave 185, grinding with the fellow opus set currently at 8.3 (not super confident in the setting) if anyone is using a sette 30 for this calendar I'd be thrilled to hear what setting. Brewed in about 3:30 so I think I'm missing out on some of the flavors and I did get a stall on the drip towards the end and decided to pull it before I got all the over extracted flavors. 

I definitely find this enjoyable. I'm not getting a lot of grape but it is more floral than yesterdays Framily. 

Open to any and all tips or tricks as I'm relatively new to the pour over world. Usually stick to brewing on my espresso machine. 

• If anyone is brewing on the stock first Gen Ode? If so, I'd love a grind recommendation for this one. Thanks!

• @Silas WOODRUFF I have the first gen Ode and I followed the same grind recommendation as in the recipe! I had a very beautiful cup.

• Has anyone tried a suggested recipe? I used Origam + Kalita 185 filter and MK40 25 clicks, but drain time was about 4:25. Frankly was surprised to see ~3:11 in the recipe for 25g of Ethiopian coffee. It tasted great though ;)

• @sawyer burnett great tip. Was grabbing recipes in the instagram feed comments. This is way easier. Thank you!😀

• Washed Ethiopian coffees are my jam, and Onyx is just pandering at this point. Followed the recommended recipe/grind settings with my Ode Gen 2 + V60, and the brew time was exactly on the nose.

Compared to Family, this is a completely different experience, and I can't pick a favorite. The sweeter, heavier fruit notes have been replaced with a more mellow peach flavor (think La Croix essence), but crisp, light tea takes over. This is a herbal tea, not a coffee, and I wouldn't change anything.Onyx nailing the brew guide

I'm drinking this with some homemade Cranberry Waffles (lots of tartness and sweetness), so the subdued coffee is a beautiful contrast.

• Just made this twice, once for me and once for some friends. I used James Hoffmann's 1-cup V60 method with 15g coffee/250g water in a plastic V60. The first time, I adjusted the grind in my 1zspresso J manual grinder to be a little coarser than yesterday, and used 212F water temp. I found that the drawdown time was longer than I was expected, but I got the peach note immediately. The second time, I went for an even coarser ground, and used 203F water. The drawdown was on the mark, but I got more of a peach tea note than pure peach and it was smoother overall. Now the second time, we'd just sampled the Framily again, and with hindsight, we should have cleansed our palates.

• Really enjoyed this one. Ethiopian coffees are always so delicate and fun to drink. I forgot to adjust my grind so my brew got a little overextracted, but was nonetheless very good. Used Baratza Encore @ 12 and Fellow Stagg XF. Great peach notes along with the Jasmine. Super silky texture. Will look to pick up a bag of this one next time it's available.

• 1 / 2