Onyx Coffee Lab
market locale: en-us
url prefix:

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 21: Guatemala Las Nueces | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 21: Guatemala Las Nueces

• This is a coffee that took us by surprise. We visited our friend Raul Rodas who has helped form new relationships throughout Guatemala this season. This washed Pacas lot was on the table, with its vibrant notes of melon and caramel. We visited the producers to find this lot is being grown at over 2000 MASL, making it some of the highest grown Pacas we have ever seen.

Tasting Notes:
    Pecan, Melon, Caramel, Round

Click here for Advent Brew Guide

BREW GUIDE

ORIGAMI W/ CONE FILTER

COFFEE: 25G

WATER: 400G AT 205°F

GRIND

10 EK43
    687 Microns
    18 Baratza Encore
    7p Baratza Vario+
    23 Comandante C40
    4.6 Fellow Ode Gen 2

BREW

Bloom to 50g
    0:30 - Heavy center pour to 200g
    1:30 - Spiral pour to 300g
    2:00 - Spiral pour to 400g
    ~3:55 drain

• Very different than yesterdays coffee but I do also enjoy it. I get slight hints of fruit and definitely Caramel. This falls somewhere in the middle for me. Not my favorite but definitely not my least favorite. 

• Can someone explain the tangible difference I should be noticing or the why behind swapping the flat and cone filters?

• Grind sizes for Encore seem way off for the past few days. I usually start with the recomendation and dial it in for the second brew. Today's recomendation gave me a total brew time of 2:20 - nowhere close to 3:55. I'm curious what other people do to dial in these coffees with only a couple chances?

• @Matthew Abernathy It affects how the water flows through the grounds which will change which flavor components really shine. Try this one with a flat bed filter and a cone shaped one and see! There have been some interesting studies of this effect.

I brewed this with each type today as well. The V60 brew really accentuated the pecan and caramel notes and the Orea brew had a much stronger melon profile. Extremely smooth cup.

@Ben Johnson my time was closer to ~3:00 personally with each brew, nowhere near 4:00. I wonder if the tester just walked away for a minute before fetching their finished batch 😅

• One of the most distinctive coffees thus far, and I am really enjoying it. I taste lots of toffee, perhaps its caramel, that does lend to a very decadent cup. I had no idea "round" was a detectable flavor or texture, but in this case it makes sense. It has taken some cooling and "swishing" of the coffee around different parts of my mouth to notice, but I could find a faint, soft fruit note remiscent of melon candy you'd find at an Asian grocery store (i.e. not tangy artificial watermelon).

I'll try a stronger brew on the Aeropress later and see if the melon comes through more, but this is fantastic either way.

• Brewed on my kalita today and it was a great cup! Smelled like bubblegum as I was brewing it. I got the typical nutty and milk chocolate notes you get from most Guatemalan coffees, but the fruity melon note hit me up front first. Kinda blown away this is a washed coffee with how juicy and fruity it is. I would've believed it was a natural processed. 

I got a faster drawn down on this one today as well. Around. 3:10, but thankfully it was perfect for my taste. 

• @Matthew Abernathy A cone-shaped filter will accentuate the acidity (brightness) of the coffee. A flat bottom shape filter will accentuate the body of the coffee. It's another tool in the toolbox that you can use to focus on aspects of a coffee that you may want to bring out or mute.

Reference: Onyx Coffee Lab Brew Guide CxfeeBlack Filter
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu_Tr7cnfws&t=121s

• @Ben Johnson The grind size Onyx recommends in these guides here may have been dialed in for more freshly roasted coffees with more inherent gas. The coffees we have in our bags have likely off-gassed significantly since roasting. I have stayed a bit coarser than recommended to compensate and then adjusted from there based on desired brew times and extractions.

• This one was a Walter Payton coffee for me - pure Sweetness. Not a sharp, tart sweetness, but more of the mellow, smooth kind - like honeydew. Velvety body that coated the tongue nicely. Definitely enjoyed this one!

• Transform your interiors with the elegance of microcement flooring. This innovative flooring solution combines durability with aesthetic appeal, making it ideal for any modern setting. Adtech Flooring offers premium microcement flooring options that ensure quality and satisfaction. Find out how microcement can enhance your space by visiting: Microcement Flooring.