Onyx Coffee Lab
market locale: en-us
url prefix:

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 19: Honduras San Andres Lempa | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 19: Honduras San Andres Lempa

• This is a beautiful and traditional lot from some new friends in San Andres, Honduras. Sitting right on the border of El Salvador and Honduras, San Andres is home to many small (and large) producers who have produced coffee for many, many years. Last season we began to purchase microlots, blending some to create the Lempa blend. This macrolot reminds us of candied pecan and oranges, with a juicy and lingering mouthfeel.

Tasting Notes:
    Candied Pecan, Orange, Pear, Juicy

Click here for Advent Brew Guide

BREW GUIDE

ORIGAMI W/ FLAT FILTER

COFFEE: 25G

WATER: 400G AT 204°F

GRIND

9 EK43
    618 Microns
    16 Baratza Encore
    6p Baratza Vario+
    21 Comandante C40
    4 Fellow Ode Gen 2

BREW

Bloom to 50g
    0:30 - Heavy center pour to 200g
    1:30 - Spiral pour to 300g
    2:00 - Spiral pour to 400g
    ~3:30 drain

• Back at it with day 19. I had no way to brew while I was away so I'll be going back and trying the ones I missed. I really enjoyed this coffee. At first I wasn't able to get any flavor notes at all and as it cooled I got an abundance of orange and fruity notes. I do get a nuttiness which I'm guessing is the pecans. Definitely has a juicy mouthfeel. Overall a nice cup today. 

• Just getting over a cold, so my taste buds are  a little whack. However I still  enjoyed this coffee and the flavor notes really jumped out at me. Specifically the candied pecan, orange, and I even tasted something i'd best describe as baking spices. All in all a very clean straightforward cup that I could drink all day. 

• Update: Brewed a second cup, this time 18g/300mL using James Hoffman's technique. Definitely enjoying the orange flavors in this coffee a lot more when it's warm, and there is almost a toffee-like sweetness.

Not a whole lot going on for me, but a very nice lighter cup! Being a blend, it was interesting seeing the size of coloration differences in the beans. Noticed pecan and honey immediately. As it cooled, a fruitier taste started to dominate, but it was more evocative of a bitter extract or peel than ripe fruit.

• Wow! It's like drinking warm orange juice. I brewed this coffee in a Origami with Kalita 185 white paper at a 1:16 ratio using my Ode Gen 2 with standard burrs at the 4 setting. For 16 grams in and 250 grams out, the total. brew time took 4 minutes. 

The coffee is lightly sweet with some very prominent and pleasant orange citrus notes There is a bright acidity and the body is moderately balanced. The finish is very long, juicy, and pleasant. I really like this coffee.

• My first cup I decided to use the Hoffman method for my aeropress and was frankly disappointed. I was left with a fairly boring cup of coffee. Not sure what happened maybe I misunderstood the directions for my grinder?

For my second I decided to try my own personal method, it has a much finer grind and boy do those flavors explode. It comes in a bit dark and really nutty and then fades into some serious fruit. Almost as if I'd just eaten candy or fruit loops. Overall I think with the right methods this coffee could be really special.

• @Alan Carpenter I thought Hoffmann's aeropress method did use a pretty fine grind.  I thought my grind was pretty fine also, but after reading your comment regarding your first cup, I wonder if mine isn't fine enough, because both of my cups today were on the boring side with not much in the way of tasting notes.

• @Eugene Ogden For my grinder it came for two notches before percolator. Which is like high 40s low 50s. I dropped it to 35 and it was way better

• Woke up and had it this morning. Was pleasantly surprised when I got the tasting notes pretty close. I thought it was closer to walnut but same neighborhood. 

• Are you seeking top-notch law essay writing help? Look no further! Our comprehensive services are designed to guide you through every stage of your law essay, from research to final draft. With expert assistance, you can enhance your writing skills and produce high-quality essays that stand out. To learn more about how we can assist you, visit our website today and explore the resources and support available to ensure your academic success. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to improve your law essays with professional help!