Onyx Coffee Lab
market locale: en-us
url prefix:

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 18: Burundi Long Miles Gaharo Natural | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 18: Burundi Long Miles Gaharo Natural

• This natural processed coffee comes to us from our friends at Long Miles Coffee Project. For years, they’ve aided in the production at the Bukeye and Heza stations, and we are thrilled to have partnered with them on this Gaharo lot. Some will notice this is the natural accompaniment of the Gaharo washed lot, a fun addition to Advent as it spans the most of the processing methods offered. Maybe next year we’ll feature a honey-processed Gaharo lot…

Tasting Notes:
    Dried Cherry, Milk Chocolate, Nectarine, Black Tea

Click here for Advent Brew Guide

ORIGAMI W/ CONE FILTER

COFFEE: 25G

WATER: 400G AT 203°F

GRIND

10.6 EK43
    730 Microns
    20 Baratza Encore
    8h Baratza Vario+
    24 Comandante C40
    5 Fellow Ode Gen 2

BREW

Bloom to 50g
    0:30 - Heavy center pour to 200g
    1:30 - Spiral pour to 300g
    2:00 - Spiral pour to 400g
    ~3:15 drain

• Instant hit of milk chocolate when the bag is opened, it smells delicious.

Very little sweetness to this coffee, which I think would have bought more balance. It reminds me of a black tea with some notes of orange. There's a nice smoothness to it but it lacks body and depth for me.

• I got cherry through the whole process, from smelling the bloom to the last sip. Low acidity and body but full of flavor. I enjoyed this one and flagged it as a favorite. 

• Edit #2: Whoops read the grind settings for the wrong day.

Edit/Update: I had used Onyx's recommended settings and recipes on my V60 this entire calendar with fantastic results, but for whatever reason this particular coffee was a disaster with them. Stepping up from 3.3->4.0 clicks on my Ode Gen 2 and reducing the recipe from 25g->22g completely fixed all my problems. The astringency disappeared, replaced by a natural sweetness, and I can maybe taste a little tart cherry now. Still more traditional, "dry", and boring than I would prefer these days, but a good cup nonetheless. Based on the brew times, I think my last attempt was just overextracted. Overall, I liked the washed processed version a LOT more. A honey process would be exciting to try next year.

Original Review:

By far the most traditional tasting in the advent ahead of the El Salvador Santa Rosa Honey, but not my favorite. I'm not getting any cherry or citrus, very little sweetness whatsoever. I'm mostly noticing a heavy body, dark chocolate, and a lot of astringency similar to what you would taste in a strong black tea or unroasted walnuts.

I'm mostly a black coffee drinker, but this is the first advent selection that I've wanted to put cream in. There's nothing harsh or unpleasant, just bold and lacking in natural smoothness. For my second cup, I plan on grinding a click coarser and using a 22g/400mL recipe.

• A very nice modern take on a traditional African black coffee. I brewed this coffee in a Origami with Kalita 185 white paper at a 1:16 ratio using my Ode Gen 2 with standard burrs at the 5.0 setting. For 32 grams in and 500 grams out, the total. brew time took 3.5 minutes. 

The coffee is lightly sweet. I pick up some crisp clean citrus notes up front and a nice dark chocolate finish in the back. There is a pleasant bright acidity and the body is moderately balanced and has a semi-juicy black tea like composition. I like this coffee.

• Great to experience the same beans washed and natural!

This cup is dominated by a smooth chocolate flavor, and as it cooled down, the cherry flavor really popped out.

Comparing back to the washed beans, I swear I got a little of the plum and green apple notes hiding behind everything, but they were much more background players instead of main notes.

Overall very enjoyable cup and fun comparison!

• Brewed this as recommended and wasn't blown away but wasn't dissapointed either. "Approachable" is definitely the most appropriate adjective for this one. Definitely got the cherry and tea like qualities and some notes of chocolate.

@Danny Lovell I think you might have misread the brewing prescription. It's 5 clicks on the Ode gen 2. That would probably explain the overextraction.

• @Justin Collier ah yup. Looks like I might have been reading the brew guide for the Day 7 washed version 🤦