Onyx Coffee Lab

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia John Diaz Gesha Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Peru Nueva Alianza Gesha COE #9

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia John Diaz Gesha Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Peru Nueva Alianza Gesha COE #9

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 9: El Salvador Santa Rosa Honey | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 9: El Salvador Santa Rosa Honey

• This deeply sweet, honey processed coffee from the Northern Chalatenango Mountains is one of our favorite annual offerings. Finca Santa Rosa is owned by our good friend, Jorge Rivera, whom we have been working with for many years. Concord grape is the most forward note in the cup & starts the journey of this complex flavor profile.

Tasting Notes:
    Concord Grape, Demerara Sugar, Rose, Dark Chocolate

Click here for Advent Brew Guide

BREW GUIDE

ORIGAMI W/ KALITA FLAT FILTER

COFFEE: 25G

WATER: 400G AT 204°F

GRIND

8.8 EK43
    610 Microns
    15 Baratza Encore
    6m Baratza Vario+
    20 Comandante C40
    4 Fellow Ode Gen 2

BREW

Bloom to 50g
    0:30 - Heavy center pour to 200g
    1:30 - Spiral pour to 300g
    2:00 - Spiral pour to 400g
    ~2:55 drain

• Interesting coffee this. Slightly acidic first hit and then, what I perceived as cherry but perhaps that's the grape and rose combination in the tasting profile. A honey like sweetness lingers on the tongue with a slightly bitter chocolate after taste.

Enjoying this journey so far but I am yearning for something dark, nutty and rich.

• Each day, I look to see if the coffee is being sold on the website because that page contains much more information about the coffee. If you want a bit more information about the coffee, check that out. Today's includes information about the grower and the family history of the farm.

• I was very much looking forward to this one. And wow, I’m loving this one. Brewed this on the Chemex which i think was the perfect match for this coffee

On the nose it smelled like a dark roast. But taste is another story. It was a bright and sweet cup but at the same time the chocolate notes are very pronounced. This may be the first time I’ve been able to taste all the tasting notes.  Once the coffee really cools down it became really bright then mellows out-like a spiciness zing without the spice. Dont know how else to explain it. Can't wait to read others reviews of todays cup. 

• Brewed on my Kalita today and the concord grape flavor note was coming out strong. Big welch's grape juice vibes. Getting some slight florals and it had a "perfumey" aroma when I brewed it. Onyx does these honey processed coffees so we'll, i've been really impressed by all of them so far. 

• I've adjusted a few things over the last day or so. Still getting a bit of stalling at the very end but overall a better brew. I definitely get the grape and brightness. I enjoyed this cup but so far the Mexican Puebla has been my favorite. 

• I must say this one I brewed at a slightly larger grind than yesterday's. And I'm left with a somewhat disappointing experience. I don't get the grape everyone is talking about I do get some Woody kind of Floral taste that I suppose could be Rose but it's not what would strike me if I hadn't seen the word first. Still a really good cup though not sour or bitter at all

• I do love my honey coffees, almost as much as I love my fermented coffees. 

This is another super sweet and juicy one. I'm not quite getting concord grape, but I also don't think I've had grapes in a decade. I almost get blueberry, maybe blueberry jam. Totally get the dark sugar, like demerara, as well. Almost a honey? Maybe that's the floral notes. Good stuff, Onyx, good stuff!

• Was eagerly looking forward to this after the Day 6 Las Lajas Black Honey.

Comparatively, this honey processed coffee wasn't nearly as exciting or aromatic, but delivered a similarly smooth, deeply rich, and sweet chocolaty cup from start to finish. I had trouble picking out individual flavor notes here, but after cooling down, and a second cup, I could detect honey-like qualities, and a very subtle (what could be perceived as grape) jammy fruit flavor that melds almost indetectably into the chocolate profile.

My partner and I both abosolutely loved this coffee; She noted how sweet and lacking in acidity it was. I think this is the most approachable and "traditional coffee-like" offering on the advent so far (more so than Framily), and it was a nice change after the very fruit-forward Ethiopians, Kenyan, and Guatemala from Day 8. I would buy this as a daily driver or for guests any day.

• Another fave of mine in this collection. I chose to brew with an Orea with a Sibarist filter. I also adjusted the dose to 15g (250ml water), ground a bit coarser than the recipe. Pouring structure:

circular pour 30ml to bloom

center pour 70ml (to 100ml)

circular pour to 100ml (to 200ml)

circular pour to 50ml (to 250ml)

BT around 2:00

Sweet with a fruity acidity!

• Loving this coffee. I had a brain fart and forgot to adjust the grind size accurately, but I found I still got a good extraction.

The acidity hits pretty quickly on this one followed by some juicy mouthfeel. Not noticing the grape very much. To me it tasted more like a cherry, plum or... prune. I might be crazy though.
    I've been trying to view the flavor wheel and come up with my own tasting notes first, but it is hard!
    Anyone taken formal tasting classes before or have recommendations on how to further develop the palate?