Onyx Coffee Lab

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia John Diaz Gesha Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Peru Nueva Alianza Gesha COE #9

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia John Diaz Gesha Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Peru Nueva Alianza Gesha COE #9

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 3: Kenya Gichathaini AA | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 3: Kenya Gichathaini AA

• This AA lot is a screen separation of large side seeds, lending a more juicy profile than their smaller counterparts. Grown in Nyeri and processed at the legendary Gichathaini station, this coffee hits all the marks of a fantastic washed Kenyan coffee, making it our favorite within the Advent Calendars deep selection of Kenyan coffees. Expect notes of vibrant citrus, with a juicy mouthfeel throughout.

Tasting Notes:
    Grapefruit, Plum, Sugar Cane, Juicy

Click here for Advent Brew Guide

• First taste of this one and my immediate thought was bubblegum. It's strangely pleasant. I thought my palate must be well off but checked the notes and candy is listed so maybe that's it. Nearly there 😆 

I love the initial taste but not so much the aftertaste on this one. It lingers for a long time and I think outstays its welcome a little bit.

Another really interesting coffee but day 2 is the clear front runner for me so far.

• First thought, Yup it's a Kenyan. Very floral and citrusy but not too acidic tasting.Smooth finish that lingered just long enough  

I love a good Kenyan coffee but this may have been too much citrus for me. Day 1 is my front runner so far. 

• Great Sunday brew. Finally remembered to adjust my grind which made a positive impact on the brew. Nice florals during brewing and a zippy citrus brightness on first taste. Drinking with a bit of brown sugar and oat milk. Nice and smooth with a light baking spice note. Sugar cane and plum is a great complement on the back end. 

• Here's the brew guide listed on Onyx's website for this coffee. I'm not sure why it isn't included in this post, but maybe it'll save people some time. The difference(s) from yesterday is a slightly finer grind at 682 microns instead of 756 and a longer drain time ~3:30 instead of ~3:11.

BREW GUIDE

ORIGAMI W/ CONE FILTER

COFFEE: 25G COFFEE

WATER: 400G AT 203°F

GRIND

10 EK43
    682 Microns
    18 Baratza Encore
    7o Baratza Vario+
    23 Comandante C40
    4 2/3 Fellow Ode Gen 2

BREW

Bloom to 50g
    0:30 - Heavy center pour to 200g
    1:30 - Spiral pour to 300g
    2:00 - Spiral pour to 400g
    3:30 ~ drain

• Getcha' Thaini on! Delicious!

• Not enjoying this as much as days 1/2; Still interesting and unique, but not something I'd buy a whole box on. It feels like it literally bursts with juice in your mouth. Whoever said it overstays its welcome hit the nail on the head. I'm tasting the sugar cane and maybe plum skin more as it cools down, but the aftertaste is more hollow and bitter than I would prefer.

The large beans caused feeding issues and couple interruptions on my Ode Gen 2, but this is normal from experience.

• What a lovely coffee!

I've been trying to get my thoughs and tasting notes before reading them. Today's Kenya was less sweet than the last few days, but more complex. I kept getting tomato juice notes (in a good way) towards the end of my sip. I don't get much citrus, but I totally get the juicy. I need to try my next brew a little finer of a grind size and see what happens.

•  

Hi, using a baratza encore and a redline  v2 drip machine. 

I've been noticing that the brew guides don't just double the coffee and water when going from a single to a double recipe, they also change the grind size. Is there any reason for this? The first and third day the grind size changed from a 13 to a 20 grind and the second went from a 21 to a 20. Trying to see if there is some logic here that I can use to improve my brewing at home. 

• Day 3! 

Im not entirely sure why I keep getting a stall at the last pour from 300 to 400g brewed in a Kalita wave 185. 

I definitely get citrus notes and it's definitely very juciy. I certainly does linger a bit at the end but I don't get any bitterness which is nice. 

• @Jamie Jarabek great question, would love to hear people's thoughts as well!

• JX Pro on 42 and Kalita 185. 3:30 drain time on the dot. Got the juice and grape. Can't say Sugar Cane but whatev. I'm with@Danny Lovell and@Jordan Sadler that the finish is long and overstays. Ends up feeling tart and chalky for me which isn't my fav. 

Day 2 Ethiopia Hambela Bishan Fugu leading for me.  

• Day 3 - I have the Fellow Ode Gen 1 and used the last marker before grind size 5 (which I hope is somewhat similar to 4 2/3).

Brewed it with my V60 and followed the recipe very closely.

I mostly tasted jam (which I believe is close to plum in the cup profile), nice cup, very smooth, but overall not my...jam!

• @Jamie Jarabek The "doubled" recipe is for an auto-brew machine as opposed to a pour-over dripper - that's the reason for the different grind size. For a 2-cup pour over recipe (like using the stagg xf), you can just double everything. The times may be a little longer for draining of course. I find 30 seconds goes to about 45 seconds and so on.

• I'm finding this very heavy on dark fruits. Plums and raisin mostly. Absolutely getting the bitter aftertaste others mention. That bit is unpleasant.

Breville smart grinder pro at 46

Chemex

• @Craig Collins interesting. I find the 20 grind size leads to dull, acidic flavors whereas if I go closer to 13 I get many more of the notes mentioned in the description. My machine auto blooms so it may not be a true drip machine that these instructions are for. I'll try a finer grind going forward and see if it produces better flavor. I normally grind around 14 on my encore for best results so I am inclined to just double the single recipe. 

• Brewed with v60 and 5 1/3 grind on ode gen 2 with ssp burrs (grind suggestion is typically +1 from standard ode gen 2). 

tbt exactly 3:30, but in trying to follow the suggested timing the brew had fully drained between each pour. I'm getting acid, some underdeveloped floral notes, and sour on the finish. 

yesterday I also had an underextracted coffee, following the brew guide exactly. Any thoughts / tips here?

• @Jamie Jarabek Ah yeah if you have a nicer auto brewer then you're probably much closer to the pour over recipe than the drip machine recipe. Nice! I do think there's something to be said for everyone knowing their own equipment best, and personal preference of how to brew for your own taste. Cheers!

• @Stefan Unertl do you know if there is a conversion chart for Ode 2 to Ode 1? I presumed they were the same but perhaps this isn't the case. I also have an Ode 1 and want to make sure I’m getting the right grind. 

• I loved this cup, as again, a fan of African coffees. I definitely got a sense of sweetness and bright flavors. It does have a great citrus note with some tartness and sweetness mixed nicely together. I love the sense of juciness too. Currently, it is tied with Day 2 for me!

• I love it when the tasting notes are spot on.   Sweet piquant grapefruit with a very nice mouth feel for such a coffee.   Aftertaste does linger on the sides and tip of the tongue in a good way.  

• @Jake Mason I haven't done research yet or found any conversion charts, great question though. Looking at both grinders side-by-side, it seems that they are identicial and the grind wheel at the front has the same numbering logic (in terms of grind size). I am assuming that we can follow the same grind size for our Gen 1 like the Gen 2!

• @Jamie Jarabek more coffee always brews slower so the grind size needs to be more course to avoid over extraction. So if I'm brewing 50g of coffee on my Chemex I always grind more course than 25g on my V60