Onyx Coffee Lab
market locale: en-us
url prefix:

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 4: Colombia Aponte Village | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 4: Colombia Aponte Village

• This unique offering has become foundational in our Colombia coffee sourcing programs for the last six years. Farmed by the Inga indigenous community, these coffees are intensely sweet like honey, accompanied by an underlying fruit pulp and floral nature. Advent season is not complete without this stellar favorite of ours from Narino.

Tasting Notes:
    Dried Cherry, Raw Honey, Papaya, Silky

Click here for Advent Brew Guide

• Why is there only pour over brew guidlines?! Was gifted the Advent Calendar, and am frustrated that it appears to be a big ordeal to stumble my way through the days. The beans amount is not enough to dial in. No roast level details provided. I don't know if I'm getting the most out of the sample. So much guess work! We brew primarily espresso at my house. Very frustrated that enough isn't provided in details about the beans themselves so that espresso drinkers can't come up with parameters in which to enjoy the various offerings.

• @Florence Wood I'm in the same boat. I only drink espresso at home and I'm finding this to be such a frustrating experience. I wish it would've been clearly stated that there would not be specific brew guides for espresso each day. I have yet to get one decent shot. 

• @Courtney Arias @Florence Wood I found the espresso brew guides by going directly to the page where you can buy the beans. Here is the link for this one.

https://onyxcoffeelab.com/products/colombia-aponte-village?variant=32038939721826&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA67CrBhC1ARIsACKAa8QSu6CPaTiNfApPX8YaLzhgf8kp00MH54rmi2ZUh2lKnqwCes2bvJAaAjPyEALw_wcB

• This one improved a lot after cooling, it becomes more honey tasting and complex. My first taste was a feeling of astringency, and then there is definitely that silk on the tongue. A nice, sweet finish. This sits somewhere in the middle for me, personally.

• Total opposite to yesterdays Kenyan. 

This was a nice cup. Although i didn't get the intensly sweet flavor.  Some sweetness, and definitely the dried cherry. Agree with the other poster, the flavor really developed as it cooled. Once cooled i was getting some bitter sweet chocolate on the back end.

Also of note, No lingering with this one. The flavor comes and goes real quick. Anyone else getting that? 

brewed on Chemex Ottomatic 2.0

• @Nick Valaitis Agreed on the lack of lingering on this one. A few seconds and it was gone. Like night and day vs yesterdays, which sat with me too long!

• @Jordan Sadler @Nick Valaitis  I haven't made my brew yet, but the cooling factor improving the taste is quite interesting. I wonder if that means something like a Japanese style iced coffee (pourover onto ice) would bring those flavors out even more? I might try that for my second brew to see how it tastes.

• For the first brew I enjoyed the coffee only after it cooled, but I adjusted my grind setting down on my second brew and enjoyed the entire cup.
    Method:

Aeropress: 12g/200g 20 second bloom 120 second brew

Baratza Encore: 19

• @Tom Apple I've found this for some of the days, too. The only issue is I swear it looks like it's written in a foreign language to me I'm newer to espresso and using a Breville Barista Express, so I'm totally aware that being a novice is the majority of my issue. I think I'm struggling most with finding where to start with my grind size for each coffee. Would it be correct to assume that the higher agtron numbers require a finer grind and the lower agtron numbers require a more coarse grind?

• @Onyx  regarding brew instructions: I have never used an Origami, nor had I tried the initial heavy center pour before starting the 2023 Advent. Is that technique highly recommended to compliment the design of the Origami, or do y'all use it as a daily driver V60 technique as well? I've had great luck with the latter, but still curious. 

• For my fellow 1Zpresso K-Ultra users, I tried 8.7 on the grind setting but will tweak it for my second cup. Had to set my Ember mug to a lower drink temperature after seeing the suggestions on letting it cool above. Definitely allows more cherry fruit to come through. 

• This is a welcome and tasty relief from yesterday's Kenya, and the most interesting flavor journey so far. I am having a very hard time articulating what I'm tasting, and it is changing with every sip. Leaning heavily on the flavor notes, I do get a short initial burst of a fruit note that could be perceived as cherry, and an herbal tea aftertaste that I'm guessing comes from the natural processing; I didn't notice anything similar on the Days 1-3 washed coffees. 

The true constant here for me is a strong lingering Turbinado (raw) sugar flavor. The sweetness also lingers in the back of the throat in the same way honey does. 

Either way, as this is cooling, I'm getting more hints of "almost overripe tropical fruit", maybe Banana or Guava, but mostly naturally occuring sugars you would find there.

Edit: Not sure what is going on, but in the last sips at room temp, I'm getting the strangest earthy vegetable note, like one of those non-organge organic carrots. Very unexpected.

• While this is certainly less bitter than yesterdays presentation. I'm not getting any of the promised sweetness. I get some sour notes that dissipate quickly, even as it cools I'm not getting the same level of cherry and florals others are getting. Perhaps my brew is off, but overall its not a bad cup just kind of forgettable.

• @Danny Lovell I'm not from Onyx but I had the same question about the initial center pour. I noticed it was recommended in their v60 video brew guide for this exact coffee (available here on YouTube). 

In the video, the presenter goes in to the "why" behind the recommendation. "We really like those in a cone shaped filter...if we pour right in the center, we'll be able to agitate our coffee nice and evenly." She points out that the kettle spout (the Fellow Stagg EKG) should not be very high up when doing the heavy pour; if it's too high, the water will channel straight down and fail to agitate the whole coffee bed. The lower the kettle spout, the more agitation.

I tried the initial heavy center pour the last two days and been impressed with the results. At first, my brew method was closer to the James Hoffmann technique, but after following their brew guides as closely as possible, I feel like I've gotten more intense sweetness out of the brews. 

Hopefully this helps! 

• 1st brew: espresso for Americano
    subtle sweet aroma like doughnuts. Taste reminded me of a single origin dark chocolate bar, punchy and complex.

2nd brew: V60
    Much stronger aroma - kind of like cedar while brewing and after brew like a chocolate doughnut. 
    Taste was much more complex with pourover, some woody smokiness and lots of complex dark chocolate. Definitely some tart cherry. 

Agree with others, not much of a lingering flavor. Pretty dry finish. Pretty nice coffee though, I enjoyed it. I typically don't go after Columbian coffees but that's what makes this advent calendar fun! 

• @Mark Cizdziel 
    She points out that the kettle spout (the Fellow Stagg EKG) should not be very high up when doing the heavy pour; if it's too high, the water will channel straight down and fail to agitate the whole coffee bed. The lower the kettle spout, the more agitation.

For what it's worth, Hoffmann did a pretty ridiculous (or awesome depending on your pov) piece on spout height and agitation. His takeaway was that as the spout gets higher, the water will start to "separate" a bit and when it hits the water at the top of the slurry, it will dissipate from the surface tension. When the spout is lower, the full stream of the kettle water is able to penetrate into the brew bed and thus agitate the grounds.

I wasn't sure on "channel straight down" either as that's not what is really my experience. When kettle is high for me, flat brew bed. When kettle is low, agitated and can be lumpy unless you give it the little shake or swirl.

• @Danny Lovell Hey Danny, the heavy center pour is intended to agitate the whole "cone-shaped" brew bed. It's not unique to our approach to the Origami, but can also be used in the V60 for sure!

• Guessing there is a need to change this technique for a flatter Kalita 185? Even with a lower kettle height, I tend to get a volcano shape when pouring down the center.

That in mind, I've been pretty happy with the brew guide info for these, although generally finding things a little more on the bitter side. Today's cup saw that profound but fleeting sweetness I was looking for. Enjoyed all of these so far!

• Brewed on my modded Kalita today and dang it's good. Loving the sweetness and body it has. Tasting how it changes as it cools down is fun too and shows how complex the coffee  is. Probably my fav so far! 

• @Clint Ashlock I brew with a Kalita too and skip the center pour in the brew guides for a spiral pour. I find that center pours work better for cone shaped brewers with deeper coffee beds vs flat bottom ones. Cheers! 

• Had been doing Japanese style iced pour-overs for my second cup the past 2 days, but this bean seemed well suited for a Moka pot Eggnog Latte. Did not dissapoint.

• 4 cup Bialetti Venus
    • 19g (could have used 20-21) ground at 2 clicks on a Timemore C2 (prefer it to my Ode Gen 2 for grinding finer for Moka pot)
    • Hoffman technique (add boiling water to base, brew on medium low)
    • 8oz of full fat eggnog, frothed w/ a french press

The Eggnog covered up the less intense flavors of today's offering, but nothing clashed, and the sweet sugar notes stood out at the end.

• @Courtney Arias understood - by referencing Agtron, you're well advanced compared to me. I also see that there isn't such a link for tomorrow's beans (at least yet).  Good luck!

• 1 / 2