Onyx Coffee Lab – Page 2
market locale: en-us
url prefix:

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 1: Framily | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 1: Framily

• @Luis Campos @Matt Luniewski

We do have an espresso brew guide for this Advent offering if you'd like to give it a shot!

Modbar EP

Brew Temp: 198°F, Line Pressure: ~3.5 bars, Max Pressure: 9 bars

Pressure Profile: 0 sec to 4 sec - line pressure, from 4 sec till done - 9 bars

19g in : 47g out @ 28s

• @Joseph Mally How was the coffee on this grind setting? I have the Baratza encore and will be brewing with a Cemex or a v360. Wondering what the best grind setting would be.

• Hi Onyx Framily!

Happy Days of Advent(ure)!
    Been delving deep into coffee since 2020 and have been looking forward to this experience for a while now! 

Followed the recommended preparation for today: 25g ground at 7.5 Fellow Opus @ 400mL Chemex

First cup notes:
    Very clean, bright flavor. My first thought was tamari, soy-like on the nose. Exhale cocoa and stone fruit. Silky, sweet, without astringency or tannin quality. 

• I don't think this advent calendar could have started off more positively. I recently switched from my hard, Kansas tap water to R.O. filtered + "Coffee Water" mineral packets a couple weeks back just for this experience. Followed the recommended 3.2 setting on my Ode Gen 2 and 25g/400mL V60 recipe. Drawdown was about 20 seconds slower than anticipated, but flavor profile came out perfectly. Not nearly as much chaff as some Ethiopians, and didn't notice much retention in my Ode.  

Both the aroma throughout the entire brew process, and most of the flavor across all temperaturs has been ripe apricot. I perhaps got a light cocoa note at first, but that has settled back into a sweet, if not slightly nutty, toffee-like flavor. This is in perfect aligment with my preferred coffee region, roast, and profile, so it will be hard to top. Might just buy this instead of the Advent next year if nothing wows me as much.

Now...open question: Should do my second serving in a Moka Pot Eggnog latte, or as an iced pour-over? Thinking the latter would invoke some of the tea-like notes better.

• 1st brew: Espresso (Americano)
    decent de1: default profile
    P64: 0.4 @ 8
    18g in 36g out / 210F
    My grind was too fine so it choked and only 6g was extracted. I just hit brew again and stopped it at 30g so I had a total 36g shot in about 250g of 210F water for a nice Americano.
    Aroma: Cocoa and faint tropical fruit
    Taste: I got a big hit of citruis fruit up front quickly replaced by a super sweet smooth milk chocolate finish. As it cooled I started to get a lot more of the apricot. Earl grey came through on the last few sips as the temp dropped.

2nd brew: V60
    P64: 5.0 @ 3rpm / 205F
    James Hoffman's V60 recipe (15g / 250g) and it was quite different.
    Aroma: Nutty, slightly sweet
    Taste: The tangy fruits were much more dominant and almost no sweetness and zero chocolates. The flavors were far less pronounced and kind of muddled. I'd say the dominant element was tangy, slightly sour dried apricot and tart cherry.

Really interesting to see the flavor differences between these brew techniques. I have enough left for one more and I'll probably go with another Americano as it seemed to get more out of the beans. 

• @Alan Carpenter I'll let you know when I try again, thanks! 

• @Onyx

Are the bag colors consistent for everyone? I really wish the bags were labeled because I have a strong suspicion that mine are mixed up. The black bag I opened for day 1 has beans that look a lot like what I would expect the day 24 Krampus PB beans to look like but it was in the day 1 position. The red bag in the day 24 position has beans that do not look like PB beans. Thats the one I drank and I'm no expert but it tastes like I remember the Framily beans tasting. 

How do I know other days arent mixed up to? Can you help clarify how we can know for sure what beans are what when they arent labeled? 

• @Onyx I'm having a similar issue as above. Day 1 (black bag) seems to be a PB of sorts (way smaller than past Gotiti I've had) Working the corners - assuming they got swapped on accident has me cornfused. Day 13 (black bag) definitely not a PB. Day 12 (red bag) not a PB, Day 25 (red bag) not a PB. 

this is madness. But I still love you. 

• @Christopher James I just finished brewing this with an origami and K-Plus hand grinder. I did a 1:16 ratio as recommended (20:320 instead of 25:400 as I wanted to have enough for 2 x 18 g espresso shots later) and had the grinder set at "7". It ended up finishing at around the 3:20-3:30 mark and tasted great. If you wanted to try to aim for 3:40, you could perhaps grind 1 or 2 steps finer than 7. Hope this helps!

• Is anyone here using a niche for the advent calendar? I tried it on 37 this morning and it took 4min30 to full drain, so trying a coarser grind this afternoon but interested to hear from any other Niche users (using a v60)

• First brew, already messed up the recipe. LETS GOO

Cheers to 23 more days of great coffee everyone! :)

• Hey @Christopher James and @Stephen Brown,

Like @Mark Seipel's K-Max, I used 6.5.3 on my K-Ultra with my Aeropress using James Hoffman's Ultimate Aeropress Recipe with 14g coffee:255g water. For a baseline of K-Ultra grind settings for different brewers, I found Honest Coffee's K-Ultra grind settings to be very helpful.

For tasting, the cup was quite balanced. I got somewhat bittersweet chocolate notes up front with a pleasantly sweet finish almost like a faintly fruity butterscotch.

• @Stephen Brown With the clever dripper, I get very consistent results with the water in first method. There's a great video of this by James Hoffman. It's my standard brew method these days. You can go on the finer side of medium for the grind size.

• @Chris Sully Despite me "messing up the recipe" (I went hard pour straight to 300 LOL) I'm enjoying the cup. I think this is my first time trying Framily at home (I've tried it once before where someone else brewed it for me. Solid start to the calendar and nice, classic opening.

For the most part I brewed using the rec. recipe and reached for the v60 as well (though in super excited to incorporate my new Orea v3mk2 into these coffees). I'm going to be using an 1zpresso ZP6 Special grinder so if anyone is using this grinder and unsure with settings let me know! I also had some rough micron readings done in different settings on this grinder as well if anyone is curious to know how the recommended micron ranges translate to clicks on the ZP6(S). 

for this coffee I went 3.3 clicks and I'd say it was pretty on the money and would redo this recipe on that setting!

cheers!

• Hey all, 

I was able to pull 2 shots of 18 grams of espresso and although I didn't get the grind size perfect on the X54, It was an amazing experience. Clean, beautiful, bright. I do think It would be helpful to understand are my bags mixed up. Can anyone give any insight into what color was the bag for today? 

• @Jacob Van Meter @Alec Tod- Jenny Tod Creative @Matt Whatley  

They updated the FAQ section to include which bag is which under "If my calendar gets shuffled in transit how can I tell which coffee is which?". Also, "Never Settle for Good Enough" faces left and the Onyx skull logo faces right for each day which is helpful for Days 2/23 where both bags are green.

• Brewed on a Chemex and Ode Gen 2 grinder at 6 following the holiday brewing guide vid. Delicious, love the apricot notes!

Edit: Took me too long to spin the box around and find the labels for days 13-24. 

• @Nick Metcalf I'll be trying this coffee later today once my Kalita Wave arrives and grinding with my Niche Zero. Was going to try ~45 on the grinder. Will let you know how it goes. 😃

• Greetings everyone! I rarely drink more than one cup of coffee in a day, so I'm not quite sure how I'm going to keep up... but I'm looking forward to the journey. 

I usually use an AeroPress, but due to a recent surgery I found I can't press it without some pain, so I picked up a V60 a few weeks ago. Hopefully I can swap back to the AeroPress at some point this month. In the meantime, V60 it is! 

15g medium grind to 300g water over 2:30 minutes. The earl grey really comes through! Love that. I could see how a little milk might enhance this, like a London Fog latte almost. I might try some Oatly in it tomorrow... I think the nuttyness of Oatly could be a nice combo.

• @Luis Campos I'm using my calendar with my BBE, too. I'm newer to espresso, so I'm reeeeeeeeally hoping to find someone who's using the BBE and knows what they're doing so I can copy them and not ruin all of the coffee in my calendar 😂 

• @Mark Seipel I tried 7.5 as a guess for my first cup and I think I enjoyed it more than the 6.5 that I used for the second. I've read that a given number isn't necessarily consistent across individual K-Ultras (not sure why), so maybe that's it--or maybe it's just different personal taste preferences.

• Ended up grinding at ~50 on the Niche Zero and I'm still well over 6 minutes, so I think I'll try going past 50 (coarser) tomorrow to see if I can get closer to the target pour-over time.

• - Kalita Wave

- Timemore Chestnut X-lite (16)

- 30g / 450g

70g bloom for 1min - slow steady pour to 300g - wait a few seconds - then slow pour to 450g - slight swirl then let it drain - total time approx 3min

Definitely could pick up the apricot influence strong right off the bat with sort of a raisin / nougat flavor mid sip with a dry cocoa finish.

I’m really enjoining seeing everyone's different brew methods etc... 

• @Alec Tod- Jenny Tod Creative Todays bag was black. 

• 2 / 3