Onyx Coffee Lab
market locale: en-us
url prefix:

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 1: Framily | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 1: Framily

• We are excited to include our seventh edition of this heartwarming Holiday coffee that embodies the joy of spending time with friends and family. This washed coffee from Banko Gotiti is a developed medium roast creating complex cocoa notes mixed with sweet berry cobbler-like flavors. Designed to accommodate the coffee nerd or the heavy-handed cream and sugar in-laws...you're welcome, my friends.

Tasting Notes:
    Cocoa, Ripe Apricot, Raisin, Earl Grey

Click here for Advent Brew Guide

• Drinking this on the way to work on a frosty London morning. What a start to the calendar. Very bright coffee with cocoa undertones. I used my usual settings on this. Turned out great. Aergrind hand grinder on 2.6 and then brewed 25g with 400g water using a clever dripper. Might try the aeropress on the rest.

• Another fantastic year of Framily. Love that's it's become the kickoff coffee for the calendar over the years. Look forward to discussing coffee with y'all over the course of the calendar. 

• Tried todays brew on a fellow stagg fx using 40g of Framily and grinded the beans using Baratza Encore on a 20 setting.

• This is my first year into specialty coffee and I am really excited to be a part of trying different types of coffee through this calender.  Thank You Onyx for this guided learning experience!

• Anyone on this forum using a 1zpresso hand grinder (K-Ultra in my case)? Looking to convert from Comandante numbers.

@Onyx, lots of 1zpresso users out there so if you could list settings for us each day, that would be amazing.

• I'm doing this years advent calendar with two friends and we are sharing notes with each other as we go. We decided to use the same brew method so we can get pretty consistent results each time. Our brewer of choice is the aeropress and we are using third wave water. If you're interested in the recipe we are following I'd be glad to share!

After drinking todays coffee and watching the video on Onyx's instagram page I realized how far off I am on what they tasted. I got a dry nuttiness in the cup, not overly complex, but very welcoming and classic. I could see this being a coffee enjoyed with coffee lovers and traditional coffee drinkers this Christmas season.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

• This is my first year fully in the deep end of specialty and craft coffee. I'm stoked to brew my way through December with the advent calendar. Framily is exactly what I expected, approachable and delicious. Brewed to the brew guide on my kalita wave. Tried grinding on 8.2 on the fellow opus grinder today but may switch it up to my baratza sette 30. Looking forward to brewing along. 

• I don't know. This is not nearly as good IMO as last year's Framily. Why did you guys pivot from the dark roast profile? This used to be the best dark roast of the year, bursting with chocolate and raisin, and now it's just another (well-made) Ethiopian. It's fine, but I can get a good Ethiopian from Onyx every day of the year. Framily used to be something special to look forward to.

• @Christopher James I'm on the JX and brewing 36g/600 on a V60. I believe I'm at 75 clicks (2 1/2 rotations) but I don't know how that translates to ultra. They do translate to microns and usually izpresso has micron clicks labeled for their grinders. Should give you an idea maybe? 

• I'm new to making pour overs at home. 
    I use a chemex and breville smart grinder pro 

20g coffee

default bur setting, 34 grind size

320g water 

took me 5-6 min extraction 

water temp 200 | Fellow gooseneck 

I could really taste the apricot/fruity and Earl Grey, especially as the coffee cooled off. 
    Might try again at a slightly courser setting to get more cocoa? 

Any constructive comments welcome. I spent about an hour and 5 cups of coffee last night getting my grind size nailed down because I had been getting really bitter coffee. I kept all other factors the same, only changing grind size. The 34 did nicely this morning but I'm wondering if I went to far toward finely ground. 

• If anyone has a "best approach" suggestion I'd love to hear it.  As we set out on the month here are my brewing choices:

gs3 espresso machine

aeropress

kalita 185

clever

Fellow Stagg xf

v60 glass

chemex (paper filters or kone v1-3)

beehouse

And grinder choices:

ek

1zpresso k-max

df83

if anyone has specific recipes for any of these combos to share I'd love to hear them.  Thanks!

• First time using the advent calender from Onyx.  Todays cup, I ground the coffee and prepared my cup from the v60.  Just followed the standard process from Onyx.  It's very enjoyable.  I actually find myself tasting the different notes.  I have been trying to build my tastebuds.  And I am loving it so far.  Will try aeropress later today.

• Hi all!

First time doing the advent calendar and fairly new to the specialty coffee world. I'm thinking of using the Breville Barista Express for most of the calendar batches. Any recommendations on settings for espresso machines (grind size, amount, single or double)? Would it be better to just do the grind in the machine and then use a V60 or any other filters? 

Thanks for any input

• @Christopher James I used a K-Max @ 6.5 with a Kalita Wave 185. 

• My first Onyx advent calendar!

Decided to go with the Pulsar for this brew, just a hair finer grind than I would for a pour over and using a combo immersion/percolation recipe.

I got candied cherry or cherry pie notes and something pleasently dark and fruity, which might be a fruity cocoa flavor. Really enjoying this, and its a good choice for day one, safe, but still delightful!

• Just drinking my first sip of Framily and I can definitely taste the cocoa, almost chocolate-y since it's so smooth. I followed the recipe very closely and it made me realize that I can go much finer with grinding my beans for a V60.

• @Luis Campos The reason I decided against espresso is that I would probably take 1 or 2 tries to dial it in. That only leaves you with maybe 1 good drink from the day.

• Fantatic cup for me. The sweetness really jumped out. It almost reminded me of sugar cookie dough. As it cooled, the ripe apricot became clear. Excited to make another cup later today!

Fellow Ode V1 + Technivorm Moccamaster.

• @Matt Luniewski Candied cherry is a GREAT description. Very similar to what came up for me as well.

• My fiancée and I sprung for the advent calendar for the first time ever, and we aren't great at tasting notes or anything, but we have been counting down the days until December so we could open it up. I brewed some of the Framily and brought it to work with me, and it's the best part of my morning so far. Thanks, Onyx!

• @Hannah Barlow I used a very similar set up but I used a grind at 55. The notes as you mentioned all shine through but I get more tea than chocolate notes.

I feel like I should lower my grind size, maybe somewhere between your findings and mine? I also brewed the double, not sure how that might affect it but I followed their directions and it came out okay.

• An interesting first cup but I don't think I did myself favors by 1) using a less-used grinder (DF-64 with multipurpose SSP burrs) and less-mainstream brew method (April brewer); I went in expecting to make adjustments based on the difference but I don't think I was able to create the best cup possible today 

1st cup: ~65 on the DF-64, basically followed the brew guide as a touchpoint. The timing was very similar brew-wise but the cup itself was mostly all bitter and acid that only became 'cocoa' as the cup cooled, with a finish that was pretty quick and underwhelming. I blame this on not making proper adjustments for the grinder and brewer.

2nd cup: ~52 on the DF-64, longer ratio (~17:1), hotter water (~208F), low-agitation brewing like floating over a spoon or low-to brew-bed pours - this was much more balanced and brighter that definitely brought forward the 'earl grey' flavors. I might make this my primary brew method going forward.

• Fantastic as espresso on my LMLM. Brewed @ 201 with 5s preinfusion for 29s total. 19.2g in and ~50g out. 

Grind setting of 2.1 on my Kafatek Max

• 1 / 3