Onyx Coffee Lab
market locale: en-eu
url prefix: /en-eu

Let's be email pals.

Sign up for Onyx emails to get first access to our newest coffee releases and more.

YOU'RE WELCOME:

FREE shipping for orders over $40

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

YOU'RE WELCOME:

TRENDING COFFEE:

Costa Rica Las Lajas Natural Colombia La Palma Gesha Lactic Honey Peru La Margarita Gesha Cold Brew Honduras Kilverth Sagastume Natural

ONYX IS MY PAL

TEA:

New Teas offerings have launched now in eco sachets. We've taken weighing to the tenth of a gram out of your hands so that each cup is perfect. We suggest trying Onyx Tealight which has organic oats and honey along with black tea and cinnamon to create a complex sweetness and silky mouthfeel tea experience.

JON'S WISDOM:

Twitter is the K-cup of Coffee....

Day 6: Costa Rica Las Lajas Black Honey | Onyx Coffee Lab

Day 6: Costa Rica Las Lajas Black Honey

• This is a deeply complex honey processed coffee produced by our friends at Las Lajas. The result of this type of fermentation and drying practice creates intense sweetness and clean, silky textures in the cup. With flavor notes of malty fruits and floral honey, this coffee conflates progressive experimentation with traditional cultivation, making it a great offering to feature within the Advent lineup this season.

Tasting Notes:
    Cherry, Dark Chocolate, Baked Apple, Vanilla

ADVENT OVERVIEW

BREW GUIDE

ORIGAMI W/ KALITA 185 FLAT FILTER

COFFEE: 25G

WATER: 400G AT 205°F

GRIND

7.1 EK43
    490 Microns
    10 Baratza Encore
    4s Baratza Vario+
    16 Comandante C40
    3 Fellow Ode Gen 2

BREW

Bloom to 50g
    0:30 - Heavy center pour to 200g
    1:30 - Spiral pour to 300g
    2:00 - Spiral pour to 400g
    ~2:45 drain

• I have a question about grind settings for the Fellow Opus...is there anyway you could give those of us who have it a general guide on how the grind setting would change from the Ode to the Opus? I know that they can have two sets of burrs but any advice would help! 

• @Monique Pressley I don't have that particular grinder but someone directed me to this:

https://honestcoffeeguide.com/coffee-grind-size-chart/

You could compare both using that I expect.

• Deep smell of cocoa when grinding this one. On the lower end of the spectrum for grind size of the clever dripper I'm using but had no issues with extraction.

A slightly bitter dark chocolate hit that descends into something more malty and then 20 seconds later it sweetens on the tongue to something a bit more tart in flavour.

It's a really complex coffee this one. I like it.

• The second i opened the bag of coffee I knew it’s gonna be a good day as the aroma from the coffee beans hit my nose. i’ve been trying not to read the tasting notes until after I’ve had my first few sips try to figure out what flavors I was tasting.

To me, this is a pretty complex coffee, but not overly complex on the pallet . There is a very pronounced honey smell as well as taste. The floral notes of the coffee started to really be pronounced as the coffee cooled down. Also, there's a flavor i cant really make out what it is, but i dont think ive ever had it before. It might be the malty fruits i'm tasting. But this is definitely top 3 favorite of mine

-Brewed on v60

• Fermented coffees have ruined me. It is all I desire anymore. Basking in glory atm. 

• Although the washed Ethiopian's (Framily, Hambela Bishan Fugu) better align with my taste preferences and were stellar, this may be objectively the most interesting, delicious, and my favorite coffee on the Advent so far! I hesitated using such a low grind size, but followed posted recipe w/ V60 + Ode Gen 2. Draw time was longer, but no stalling. 

Thinking it's the honey process, but the aromas were intoxicating from the getgo! Opening the bag felt like unboxing fancy chocolates: dark, rich, and candied fruit. Throughout brewing, more subtle baked, spiced Apple. The first sip was silkier than any coffee I have ever had, and the deep cocoa and ripe fruit flavor matched the intensity of the aroma. Aftertaste is consistent with the prior notes, sweet, and not long lasting.

Interestingly, excluding the nuttiness, this Costa Rica seemingly took the tasting notes that I thought yesterday's Mexico Puebla Zapotitlan #2 failed to deliver on (Dried Cherry, Clove, Silky), and knocked them out of the park. @Nick Valaitis said it well: "...complex, but not overly complex on the pallet". They were very on the nose, I didn't feel the need to read the blog before collecting my thoughts, but in a good way.

This tastes like it would hold up well in Espresso drinks, so I plan to try an unflavored, fake Flat White with my Moka pot.

Edit: The milk in the Moka pot beverage drowned out the flavor, but the coffee straight from the Moka pot was delicious, and brought out more vibrant fruit notes I didn't get from filter.

• @Matthew Barnes - As a fellow member of the Concil of Matthews, I agree.

I also agree with the others, this one was special as soon as I opened the bag. I couldn't place the note of the bean, but it was deep and delightful. After ground- even more so.

I brewed in the Pulsar, using Scott Rao's recipe. I think I went a little course on the grind- I'm getting pure sweetness in the cup, with a delightful, slightly fermenty fruit notes, almost citrus. I can immagine Pineapple right when it start to get too ripe. Then at the end, I get a lingering complexity of maybe dark chocolate. I'll go courser on my next brew, but this coffee is a delight!

• @Matt Luniewski @Matthew Barnes   As the third inaugural member of the Council of Matthews, I also agree.

The initial post-brew smell threw me off, but the coffee was DELICIOUS. I followed the brew guide above. 8/10

• It's like the best dark chocolate hot chocolate ever 

• Brewed on Fellow Ode Gen 2 with Stagg X. I slightly altered the recipe and used 20 grams of coffee to 300 mils of water and ground at 2.2 but everything finished at 3 minutes with no issues.

This is a very beautiful coffee. As it cools down it's opening up a bit more but initial notes for me are raspberry, and dark chocolate. The coffee has a really nice finish. I agree with whoever said the coffee smelled crazy even when opening the bag. This one was really fun.

• could tell this was a honey process from the moment i opened the bag. BAM!! punched with aroma.

1st brew: Espresso for Americano
    I got a lot of juicy peach/nectarine and a little blueberry. Smoothed out while cooling and picked up more vanilla

2nd brew: V60
    More balanced and smoother but still a good bit of fruit but more like rainier cherry and cola. As it cooled it got pretty dry and more tart.

Pretty fun coffee, would be fun to blend with the Mexican from yesterday to give it a nutty base to stand on... hmm I wonder if I have any of that left 🤔

• Breville Smart Grinder Pro- Grind size 44

Chemex

Today is another good one! I'm getting the initial sweet dark honey smell which is very different than what I expected based on how the beans themselves smelled.

The taste is as dark as it smells, but in a good way. Definitely bitter chocolate and a finish with some dried fruits. Its also very smooth, not too bitter or acidic

• @Matthew Abernathy @Matt Luniewski @Matthew Barnes I am in full support of this movement. May the Council of Matthews continue to thrive with your insightful contributions to this forum. As a proud member of the Onyx team, I'm thrilled to say that your voices are not only heard but also valued within our walls. Consider me your ally and inside representative in the wonderful world of Onyx coffee.

• Similar to what others have said, once you open the bag, you know it's gonna be a great coffee to start your day. I initially smelled honey and baked apple, but once I finished brewing, the cherry notes came through and the profile got even more interesting once it cooled down.

Framily and this one have been my favorites so far!

~ brewed with my 1st gen Ode on 3, V60, followed the recipe

• This one was my favorite so far! The cherry notes come through perfectly. It's like having a dark chocolate bar with little pieces of cherry in it.  I've been making these with my Niche (not ideal) and so just scooped a 1Zpresso K-Ultra to use going forward!

• I pretty much followed the brew guide on this roast with the exception that I used a V60 #1 filter instead of a flat bottom filter and.......I picked up on some citrus notes (like....Navel orange sweetness) and citrus acidity.  Anyone else get this?  Excellent, excellent coffee and possibly my favorite so far.

• @Matt Luniewski tasted those citrus notes as well!  I was just commenting on this.  Definnitely picked up on a little cocoa and honey, but the citrus notes were really shining through. 

• @Matthew Abernathy Would you say you were in the general range of the recommended microns size? I was a little hesitant when I saw the range and found it very interesting that they were in that range and were hitting a 2:45 brew time! Curious to know what your results were.

I decided to give the grind size a shot (though hesitant because rarely find myself in this range) but I let go, and let Onyx...

3.1 on 1zpresso ZP6s
    Orea v3(mk2) w/Orea type G filter
    Followed the Onyx recommended recipe
    ~3:30 brew time

Though I feel like I could've gone a click coarser, I have to say...I am NOT disappointed!

the citrus notes I think are spot on, though I would almost describe it as a delicate citrus where the acidity isn't puckering. Reminds me of Mango Tangerine Sorbet from Double Rainbow 🤤 

• @Jordan Sadler thanks for the link!!

• @Chris Sully I use a Baratza Oncore and hit 2:45 with the recommend grind size (10)

I typically brew espresso, but purchased a V60 for the calendar and have been loving it. Such a clean cup.

• I'm glad to hear everyone is enjoying this coffee. As green buyer, I can always see the people behind the cup, and the folks behind this coffee are truly special. Each time I visit Oscar and Francesca Chacon they are the most gracious and generous host, doing so while running what I consider to be one of the most technologically advanced mills in Central America. 

• Just found this forum. I've been going through the Advent Calendar too, and this one was my favorite so far as well. Brewed it on a Kalita with Ode Gen 2 @ 3, following the standard recipe. Got the best fruity dark chocolate flavors that I can recall getting in a coffee in years. The mouthfeel raised this one up a level for me - enough body to feel creamy to me. Called this one a stone cold stunner.

• Found this forum a little late as well, but this one is one of the best the calendar has had to offer so far. Intense cherry flavor upon first sip with a semi-sweet chocolate finish to balance everything out perfectly. Great cup!